Table saw and band saw tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
:eusa_clapWith the recent tropical storm, humidity is at a high level in shops. This means RUST! On my saw top, I use a mixture of deoderized mineral spirtis and parraffin. To make such a mixture, I grate about 1/4 bar of parriffin into 12 oz of MS that is in an empty coffee can. Put lid on can. After a couple days parraffin wil desolve in MS. Pour mixture into a spray bottle. Spray top, let MS evaporate, and buff top. Recently I posted in another thread about ENCO having handwheels on sale through Sept 28. I use hand wheel and a piece of 3/8" rod stock to make a replacement for original tension knob. To make tension easier to set. take a piece cut from a milk jug, and put where rod bears on casting of saw. Slicker than a soap maker's _____.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
T9RustControl.JPG

All of the rain and humity hasn't even barely had any affect on my tools since I started using this T9 product. The same company also sells a "rust free" product to remove existing rust.

I can't say enough about this product ... A+++++ :icon_thum

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I second Jeremy's post, I have been using it for quite awhile and I haven't had any rust problems. My shop is not climate controlled at all.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check list of ingredients, as I think this is one of the parraffin based products. My shop is climate controled- the climate outside controls the climate inside. My stuff costs about $0.50 per bottle. Sorry I didn't post this to start a thread, but simply as a tip.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Great tip Bruce. I plan to try it as soon as I return home from New England. Also, wish I had known about the ENCO deal before I bought my hand wheel but at least I know to add the milk jug piece. Thanks for that too.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Use the Boehield T9. Last year Wood Magazine tested a number of metal protecting products and techniques. The only one that worked for more than 24 hours was the Boeshield T9. All the others failed within less than 24 hours.

Included in the test were specific protectorent products as well as furniture paste wax and some home-brews. None were very good.

Most find that using the Boeshield T9 followed by a coat of paste wax to reduce friction works very well.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have not problem at all with my stuff. Works great, I ran across it at sears one day and picked up the rust remover and protector in one.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Bruce, where do you pick up your deodorized mineral spirits from? Also, how often do you have to reapply this mixture to your CI tops?

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I've had pretty good luck with the Johnson's Paste Wax and Top Cote I've used. Since I'm in a garage with no HVAC, I guess the environment could called somewhat harsh.

Since I've never used the stuff, is this T9 good enough to get a can of it instead of my next can of Top Cote?

Ray

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
I have had great success leaving tools exposed rather than covering them up but... for those in drawers and boxes the absorbant ditties found in shoes, prescriptions and electronics seem to help a lot in the fragile areas. One shoe store even saved me a bunch for which I rewarded her with a pen. I simply keep adding and have had no problems. Harry

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
I have been unison Bowling Ally way for a while. It is harder than auto past way buy still goes on easily. I put it on every 3 to 4 weeks or so. easy to do. Also, as a visual person, I leave my hand planes in sight so I will be aware that I need to wax them as well. If I put them in a drawer I have the "out of site, out of mind problem"

John

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce, where do you pick up your deodorized mineral spirits from? Also, how often do you have to reapply this mixture to your CI tops?

D L
Deoderized MS is stocked by both Ace and Lowes. Regular MS works just as well, only slightly more smell. It has been four weeks now since last application. Typically about every other month, unless someone (me) sets something on table top that is wet, or spills some water based poly when filling gun. I used to rub a bar of parriffin on top and then rub with rag wetted with MS, but I like this better as the desolved parriffin gets into "pores" of CI tops. As WD 40 is a water displacing fluid, on real humid day, you might want to spray top with WD 40, let dry, and then apply parriffin mixture. It is amazing how slick top is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS