Table Saw Advice

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
SO, my Delta contractor saw (Lowe's model, older one) has begun to smoke when cutting 8/4 hardwoods. Time for me to look into a new saw and I have approval from Household 6. Trying to stay below $2,000 and my research has narrowed down my options. Please advise on what is listed below, I am kind of leaning towards the Harvey but I would appreciate input from you guys who have been doing this longer and used more tools. This will likely be the last table saw I buy for many, many, many moons (hopefully). Space is a constraint in a 80s single car garage where I have only 2/3 of the space. Here are the options:

Harvey ALPHA HW110LC-36P ( Harvey is a solid brand isn't it?) - ALPHA HW110LC-36P 10" 2HP Cabinet Table Saw

Shop Fox W1837 (would require replacing the fence based on reviews) - 10" 2 HP Open Stand Hybrid Table Saw at Grizzly.com

Grizzley G0899 (long history of quality in the model apparently) - 10" Hybrid Table Saw at Grizzly.com

Laguna Fusion F1 (I don't know, only 1.5HP) - Laguna Fusion F1 Table Saw

Laguna Fusion F2 (2HP, worth $500 more?) - Laguna F2 Fusion 1.75HP Table Saw, 36'' Rip Fence

Please, offer your input as this is a large purchase and I want to make my money count. As mentioned, the Harvey is what I am leaning towards but I do not know if it is the best option or not. Thank you in advance for any advice given concerning this.

Update: I value your opinions and appreciate them, however, I am not able to exceed the price range listed. Also, I would really like to be able to get a new tool for once if possible as most everything I have gotten to this point is used. Used are great but they don't necessarily have a long lifespan left in them which leaves me looking again. I don't really have the knowledge or time to replace motors or components on saw itself.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
My advice would be consider a couple approaches

1. Buy used, but look at a unisaw or a powermatic 66 or equivalent.
3hp instead of 2 hp. Main reason this isa good approach is you would spend probably 800-1500 for a decent performing saw. And, if you need to replace a specific part on the saw it is inexpensive.

OR.........

2. Buy new 3hp saw, the Harvey 3hp and the Laguna are essentially the same saw as Harvey was the manufacturer for Laguna, making their saws until they went out on their own Currently 23-2400 for the saw and easy to resell should you decide to do so at a later date. I know it is a bit more than you want to spend but remember, the table saw IS the workhorse of the shop, so splurging on any too in the shop, the Table saw is the one to do it on.

As for the smoking, motor is done, the enamal on the windings have broken down and now are burning under load.....Long live the 'ol motor.
Hope that helps

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Some additional thoughts:

1. Agree with trying for used, but prices seem a bit out of control right now (at least on Craigslist here in Charlotte).

2. If you can afford it, get 3hp but I would not go less than 2 hp if you use 8/4 hardwoods (hard maple, etc.). I previously had a 1.75 and the jump to 3 was amazing at the time (now it’s just normal).

3. Personal bias, and I do have some of their tools, but I’m just not a fan of the Grizzly stuff in the long run. Nothing specific, just not as well built as my other stuff (I’m not brand conscious). Others have had great experience and love them, so that’s just my take.

4. A friend has a few Harvey tools and they seem quality

5. I know Laguna gets a bad rap for customer service, and it’s somewhat deserved in my experience. They’ve made it right the 2 times I’ve dealt with them, but they’re not as good as others. That said, I have a 16” planer and 12” jointer of theirs and like them both a lot - very solid and haven’t had an issue in years.

Good luck, and sorry for the demise of your current saw,
John

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
I've owned a few table saws now: old Rockwell contractor saw, a wonderful 3hp General 350 that I restored, and a Saw Stop contractor saw with all the bells and whistles (my current saw). I miss the 3hp, so I'm probably with everyone above encouraging you to try and find one with 3hp. Mike is also right that a motor would be relatively easy to obtain and install.

If I were to go for one of the saws that you listed, I'd likely jump on the Shop Fox. I have liked the Shop Fox products that I've purchased and that saw was what I was drooling over before I ended up going with the Saw Stop --- and I'm not sure that I made the right choice, even at over twice the price of the Shop Fox. The stamped steel wings (a weight reduction) and built in mobile base would be great for a garage shop, and I bet that you'll find the fence superior to your old delta.

Good luck making a decision!

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I have a Laguna Fusion 2 (about 6 years old) and would recommend AGAINST it.
Although I've learned to deal with its idiosyncrasies, they have the worst trunnion ever (I understand they did some redesign so MAYBE it's better).

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
What's smoking? Please don't tell me the wood.

The motor while cutting thicker wood, especially hard woods. The wood is not getting burn marks and I have to move slowly and deliberately. It is just a sign that it is approaching the end. Still has life and cuts overall but it is time to upgrade.

Last edited:

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I think it depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking to get an upgraded saw? Get something new (or used) with at least 3hp. This would be a step up from your current saw. If your intention is to upgrade then don’t look at saws (under 2hp at least) because that wouldn’t really be an upgrade. From my research I would go with a 2 or 3hp Harvey, but I have no experience using one so take this with a grain of salt.

Are you happy with your current saw other than the burnt out motor? Take Mike’s advice and get a new motor and save a lot of money.

Just my opinion.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Might search the forum for previous posts. Lots of info.
#1 critical is it has a modern riving knife. That rules out most older saws except some like the Unisaw where they can be retrofitted.

You seem to be looking at hybrids. A hybrid is just a contractor saw on a closed box for a lot more money.

Yes Harvey is respectable. They make some of the others you mention. ( I have the older C-300)
I think the one you mention is actually a cabinet saw. Trunnion mounted to cabinet where contractor and hybrid, trunnion is mounted to the top. ( and I think it is on a flash sale right now)
The Laguna has a very short distance from blade to front table edge and a light weight aluminum trunnion.
Griz and Jet quality seem to be hit or miss. Small Powermatic is reported to be good, but very expensive. And of course the SawStops are expensive.

Sure it is not a dirty or dull blade?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Apologies if this is no help.....
I used to think I wanted a more powerful tablesaw. I have a mid-90s delta contractor saw and other than the on off switch needing replacement every few years - it has been solid. A few years ago I got a grizzly bandsaw - 17" I think. Since then I do all the heavy cuts on that and clean them up on the contractor saw or quite often with a hand plane.
I feel safer doing it that way and maybe I will upgrade someday, but am in no hurry....

spartyon8

Peter
User
I have the Harvey Alpha 4hp and love everything but the phenolic side extension and the dust collection at the blade is subpar. It is a beast of a saw and cuts through anything without hesitation.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
This is a great deal from a well known member here. If I didn't already have one I would be all over it.
Prayers answered. Like Fred, if I didn't already own a Uni, I would be all over this like a duck on a June Bug. To move saw. remove fence,and extension tables. Put it upside down (resting on the top) on an old tire and strap it down. Wadesboro is only about an hour and a half from you.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
SO, my Delta contractor saw (Lowe's model, older one) has begun to smoke when cutting 8/4 hardwoods. Time for me to look into a new saw and I have approval from Household 6. Trying to stay below $2,000 and my research has narrowed down my options. Please advise on what is listed below, I am kind of leaning towards the Harvey but I would appreciate input from you guys who have been doing this longer and used more tools. This will likely be the last table saw I buy for many, many, many moons (hopefully). Space is a constraint in a 80s single car garage where I have only 2/3 of the space. Here are the options:

Harvey ALPHA HW110LC-36P ( Harvey is a solid brand isn't it?) - ALPHA HW110LC-36P 10" 2HP Cabinet Table Saw

Shop Fox W1837 (would require replacing the fence based on reviews) - 10" 2 HP Open Stand Hybrid Table Saw at Grizzly.com

Grizzley G0899 (long history of quality in the model apparently) - 10" Hybrid Table Saw at Grizzly.com

Laguna Fusion F1 (I don't know, only 1.5HP) - Laguna Fusion F1 Table Saw

Laguna Fusion F2 (2HP, worth $500 more?) - Laguna F2 Fusion 1.75HP Table Saw, 36'' Rip Fence

Please, offer your input as this is a large purchase and I want to make my money count. As mentioned, the Harvey is what I am leaning towards but I do not know if it is the best option or not. Thank you in advance for any advice given concerning this.

Update: I value your opinions and appreciate them, however, I am not able to exceed the price range listed. Also, I would really like to be able to get a new tool for once if possible as most everything I have gotten to this point is used. Used are great but they don't necessarily have a long lifespan left in them which leaves me looking again. I don't really have the knowledge or time to replace motors or components on saw itself.
@SabertoothBunny if you haven't pulled the trigger yet...and are still doing your research... and you can wait for the Klingspor Extravaganza... and you choose a table saw KWS sells - everyone has said what great deals are to be had at the event...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I am sure everyone would love to buy a $5000 saw for $2000, but it does not work that way. Do understand, prices have gone up about 25 to 30% this spring on all tools. A big part of that is shipping. So one may need to reconsider their budget. There is nothing more expensive than the wrong tool.

Many forum members have the experience fixing older tools. A new motor is not hard. The old Contractors saw was pretty good ( no riving knife though). The only reason I swapped out my Ridgid was for the knife. With a sharp thin kerf, it could rip 8/4 oak just fine. Full kerf was close. A dirty blade or a fancy do-all combo blade did not cut it. Never could afford maple that thick so maybe there is a limit on a 1 3/4 motor.

I am kind of like Mark, do my big cuts on the band saw now. Just a little Harvey 14 inch. ( 3 HP though). No problem sawing 12 inch thick walnut and maple.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
There is nothing more expensive than the wrong tool.
On my other favorite forum, it is said that
"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Jaguar"!

Attachments

• 2 XJS's medium.jpg
    2 XJS's medium.jpg
    974.4 KB · Views: 71

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS