Table saw accident - Hand update

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I have always taken pride in being overly cautious when using tools, but . . . .

Yesterday I was ripping some pieces to make drawers for an entertainment center I am building. While cutting the last board (always seems to happen on the last board), a bug or something landed on my neck. Reflex is to move so I guess that's what I did, not really sure. You can guess the rest of the story. I did not cut my right thumb off, blade went from thumb tip toward the joint, at an angle. It did cut through the tip of the bone. Lots of messed up tissue and thirteen stitches plus a very nasty looking thumb. I was using a push stick, but once I'm back in the shop, my first job will be to modify it.

Sorry about the gross story, just use it as a reminder that you can never be too careful!!!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Re: Table saw accident - gross

I am sorry to hear about your accident and am glad it was not worse. I hope you heal fast!

Please also share with us the modifications you are making to your push stick.
Best wishes,
Salem

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Charles, I'm very sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm VERY happy to hear that it wasn't worse. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member

Charles, Sorry to hear of the accident. :eek: I hope it heals alright. It has been 5 years sense I cut my thumb. :eusa_pray Will be thinking of you.

Danny

skeeter

New User
Charles

Thanks guys. I just hope this just helps to keep safety on others minds.

Eyekode, I have been using a simple 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 12 stick type with a tapered, notched end and finger groves sanded into the other end for a steady grip. I am going to cut out an approx. 2"x6" piece of ply. with a notch on bottom for gripping wood and a curved handle on top to get the hand higher away from the blade. (Norm style!)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Thank goodness it wasn't worse. Those of us who have done similar things on a table saw know what it's like ..... those who haven't - you don't wanna know. I hope you heal quickly and completely.

Ernie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Ouch! Hope you make a full and speedy recovery. And thanks for posting, it is so easy to forget these tools are dangerous. No such thing as too many reminders.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ

I wish you the fullest recovery possible, as quickly as possible. I have never forgotten watching my brother do the same thing years ago, so much so that I don't even care if this next part seems insensitive, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone.

If you add the cost of your table saw to the final cost of your hospital/doctor & physical therapy bills, you will see the true value of a Sawstop, not even counting the grief of you and your loved ones. I didn't want to be writing your story; it was tough enough seeing it happen to my brother, so I bit the bullet and bought one. For the record I am in no way affiliated with Sawstop, just a fan hoping these words might prevent someone else from experiencing what you just did.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood

Charles I hope you get better soon.I really sorry that it happened.My stepson walked up behind me the other day.I let him know REAL quick,NEVER "NEVER" walk up behind ANYONE while the equipment is on.Much less while they are using it.NEVER!!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

This brings back some not too fond memories, different machine, worse results. Hope you heal quicker than I did. I didn't listen to the Doc. completely.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Sorry to hear about that Charlie - hope you will heal quick with a full recovery

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

OUCH!! That hurts just thinking about it. Glad it wasn't worst.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

Take care of yourself and let it heal. Sorry to hear of this.

On a positive ... seems like a good reason to get a SawStop and it's easy to reason the purchase now!

cptully

New User
Chris

Sorry to hear about the slice. Sounds like one my dad got year ago that nearly cut the main nerve leading into his hand when a glass tube on a vacuum device in the lab imploded. A large chunk of glass sliced into his hand and left him injured but lucky to have use of his hand.

I wish you a full and rapid recovery. Soon, I'll post the push stick I made a few years ago. I like it because it keeps my hand well above the blade, even if I forget to drop it down from max cut depth, and it does provide a nice balance between downward pressure and forward motion.

Chris

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Oh Man Charles,

That just sounds bad to me. I don't ever want to do that~!

On the Other hand I almost did cut my left thumb off two days ago resawing a 4" tall by 1" thick material on the BS. I was using a push stick with my right hand and pushing the top of the board with my left and had my thumb stick out in front of the blade. Luckily the piece was on 4" long as I cut all the way through it and stopped pushing then realized where my thumb was. Yikes I said. and I sucked the thumb in and said THINK THINK THINK~!!!!! And went inside...

Oh By the way the little piece that I ended up with, I used to fix my foot pedal trash can... The plastic broke and so the pedal would not raise the can anymore, so I made a wood hinge jig and it works better than before~!!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Thank God it was not worse. I am sorry to hear what happened but glad it was not worse. I hope it heals fully and quickly.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

ouch! I think we can relieve you of the "No Pics, didn't happen" rule in this case.

dkeller_nc

New User
David

Yikes - glad to hear there was no amputation, hopefully no permanent damage, either. For those of us that can't fork over the cash to replace a relatively new higher-end table saw with a SawStop (count me in this group), a couple of suggestions:

Marc Adam's "3 inch rule" is, in my opinion, overly reckless. My hand never gets within 2 feet of the table saw blade -ever. And the only way I can work with it and still abide by that rule is forking over the cash to buy a magnetic feather board. It was $50 very well spent. And I'm starting to think that ordering a Shark Guard and waiting 3 months on it will also be money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS