Table, complete and delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
From the logs being sourced and milled up in TN on our Family home site, to getting loaded up and brought to NC to dry, I had my hands on this lumber from day 1. It wasn't the best quality, but it was from home. And that made it special.

Mom and dad's health were failing in 15'-16' and this large white oak had fallen at the family farm. I thought it would be cool to mill it up and use some of the lumber to make a few items for the family. Sister got first dibs and wanted a table. I've made many posts here along the way on this build, so won't delve into all the tribulations I encountered along the way. Persistence got it done and it was delivered back home over the weekend. Thanks to all who offered suggestions along the way.

I only wish mom and dad were still here to see it. My sister and brother in law bought the farm from the estate, so we were able to keep it in the family and the table now sits within 100 yards from where it once grew.

30" wide. 5' long. 7' with slide out leaves that store underneath the table.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160219_115421_resized_1.jpg
    20160219_115421_resized_1.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 20160219_143738_resized_1.jpg
    20160219_143738_resized_1.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 285
  • FB_IMG_1530016017085.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530016017085.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 277
  • FB_IMG_1530016026087.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530016026087.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 280

bash

New User
bash
Great job. I am sure people will sit around the table and discuss its history from tree outside the window to furniture inside the house for many years to come.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Turned out great, David, I bet your sister is tickled.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the comments. She told me she actually teared up a bit once they got it in the house and set up. She was primary caregiver to mom and dad before they both passed, so it is very sentimental to her.

We milled the lumber in January 2016, so it has been a LONG wait for her with lots of anticipation.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Very nice. I always wanted to go from tree to furniture like that. I think you can have a better appreciation for the piece.

JohnW

New User
John
Real nice table David. Made even better by the history and family connection. Well done.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Great job, turned out awesome, that's one piece that will stay in the family for generations!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very well done David. Your perseverance paid off and what I nice gift to your sister. The finishing setback was refinished nicely too!

30" wide. 5' long. 7' with slide out leaves that store underneath the table.

I know the design that you used and it's pretty nifty and deserves some comment to elaborate on it. Too late for pics now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors