T-Track Table Tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
I'm making the initial preparation to build a long work area along a wall. Cabinets above, drawers below and a couple well placed vises.

I saw the Rockler T-Track table top and thought that it was really cool. Lots of ways to hold things. I don't have a lot of experience using the tracks except for feather boards on my router fence. I was wondering if many on here have experience (good or bad) using T-Track and what you use it for.

Thanks,
Jeff

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you haven't, research New Yankee Workshop miter station, before building a long bench. As for tee track, my best use is micro adjustable circle jig for router. Be sure and commit to one brand of tee track, as they all are just a tiny bit different:BangHead:. I own some from Peachtree, Hartville, Rockler, and Kreg, all of which are just enough different to prevent interchange. Rockler changed theirs a couple years back, so actually have an "old" and "new" style to add to the confusion.

PND

New User
Phil
On the Router Forums site, MT Stringer has posted some information about his use of t-track on a workbench: http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/53241-workbench-mods.html
I have been using a t-track router bit from MLCS (others make the, too) for small projects for a year or so and have found it useful. I took a small rectangle of scrap ply and made something similar to the Rockler product. It is ugly but functional. I am mostly using toilet bolts in the channel. Good luck with your project.
Phil

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
If you haven't, research New Yankee Workshop miter station, before building a long bench. As for tee track, my best use is micro adjustable circle jig for router. Be sure and commit to one brand of tee track, as they all are just a tiny bit different:BangHead:. I own some from Peachtree, Hartville, Rockler, and Kreg, all of which are just enough different to prevent interchange. Rockler changed theirs a couple years back, so actually have an "old" and "new" style to add to the confusion.

+1

and use the same track vendor for hardware like knobs, etc. I had a rockler hardware kit and none of the sliding nuts/ bolt heads fit my track.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The primary use I have for t-track as such is on shop built fences. For clamping I use Kreg Clamp Trak.

KlampTrak.jpg

T-track is usually held down with screws through the middle of the track and the screws aren't numerous enough or strong enough (IMO) for clamping pressures. The Kreg Clamp Trak is held by bolt heads located in the two bottom channels and though the work table with washers and nuts. You're just not going to pull this track up no matter how much clamping pressure you use.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I watched the video on NYWS and glad I did. Saw some things I will do and features I will add. That Kreg Clamp Track looks like it's going to be a component. I'm thinking about a 3 foot section of bench with some non-stick coating for edge gluing small pieces into panels and was pondering a system for cawl "beams" to provide vertical restraint and pressure. Got that picture in my head now!

Pics coming when I start the build.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I get my stuff from orangealuminum.com. Significant price advantage, and theirs is sized so that a 1/4"-20 nut or bolt head fits inside, so that you don't have to use expensive specialized hardware. The Kreg stuff looks like a great idea for clamping force.

K

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The primary use I have for t-track as such is on shop built fences. For clamping I use Kreg Clamp Trak.

KlampTrak.jpg

T-track is usually held down with screws through the middle of the track and the screws aren't numerous enough or strong enough (IMO) for clamping pressures. The Kreg Clamp Trak is held by bolt heads located in the two bottom channels and though the work table with washers and nuts. You're just not going to pull this track up no matter how much clamping pressure you use.
Maybe you could drill and counterbore extra holes and put machine screws all the way through the top?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Maybe you could drill and counterbore extra holes and put machine screws all the way through the top?

Most of the t-track I've had experience with use counter sunk flat head screws. That's so there's clearance for the t-nuts or bolt heads to slide in the track over the screws heads. You could use longer counter sunk flat head screws, of course. If you could fit a counter sink down into the slot, that is. Pan head screws might work without counter sinks, but you'd have to balance the height of the head with the required clearance as you went up in screw size. It's less of a problem if you only use t-nuts. More of a problem if you use bolts (e.g. 1/4-20 bolts).

I only do face frame clamping on my table using Kreg clamps, so the Kreg track works best in that application. The Kreg clamps exert a fair amount of force. If you're only using lighter clamping then t-track is probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors