System 3 MirrorCoat epoxy for bar top

Status
Not open for further replies.

blbradford

New User
Bruce
I have a 6'x 20"-45” slab of curly black walnut that has a slight dip towards the center. The slab is not really thick enough to sand out the dip end to end. The dip may actually be a ½”+ depth in the center.
showphoto.php

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=48976

I am thinking about using System 3 Mirror Coat epoxy (wowzers$$$$). I can guess to fill the dip and cover the rest of the top, I might use a whole gallon. The instructions say to mix in batches. I guess this means many batches without letting the previous batch harden and your bank account drained.

Has anybody used this product? Is there another product that would be a better for a bar top (think beautiful wood, alcohol and many glasses~!)?:eek:ccasion1
Bruce

Last edited:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
What's the dip from - Warping or processing? In either case, what's the possibility of turning the slab over and using the 'other' side? Is the bar made already?

Dean

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
I have used this a couple of times. The prep and care are a lot of work. The finish is self-leveling - meaning if what you pour it on isn't level, it WILL run off. There is no problem using more than one coat. If you have a dip, you might want to fill the dip first, and then do a second coat to finish it up.

I will say, once it hardens, it is a dead-flat surface, that is really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors