Swing Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Have any of you built a swing stand that is a little more than the standard "A" frame? :eusa_thinI'm going to build one for a client and I'd like to do something a bit more upscale. Perhaps a bit of an arched top? :icon_scra

Any and all suggestions, especially plans and/or dimensions are needed and welcomed. Thanks in advance!! :notworthy:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Use bolts, not screws. Use fender washers. Coat ground contact points with epoxy to stop moisture immigration. Sand all boards before and after fabrication. Face protruding hardware AWAY from people.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Google 'yard swings' and look under images. Quite a few good ideas of fancy ones.

George

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks, Guys! I've built a few A frames, but want to make this one a little "Dressier" if possible. I'm looking at all the sources you mentioned. Right now, I'm thinking I'm gonna make the header from a cypress 2 X 8 and cut a long radius to give it an arch look. :wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
depending on the arch a 2x8 might be a little weak. [think grain pattern] cutting out the top of the arch poses no problem because you will still have continuous grain end to end. but cutting the bottom out might. you might be better off with a 4x8 or better yet laminate the arch by bending multiple layers of 1/2" material. :icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
depending on the arch a 2x8 might be a little weak. [think grain pattern] cutting out the top of the arch poses no problem because you will still have continuous grain end to end. but cutting the bottom out might. you might be better off with a 4x8 or better yet laminate the arch by bending multiple layers of 1/2" material. :icon_thum

My thought was to take some short angle braces from the leg frames up under the arch to support it further. Whadda ya think? I usually just use a 2 X 6 for headers. ???

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
My thought was to take some short angle braces from the leg frames up under the arch to support it further. Whadda ya think? I usually just use a 2 X 6 for headers. ???

trace it out on a 2x8 and look at the grain patterns. if the grain is not continuous the header could split under load giving somebody a slight headache. are you selling these???? nuff said.:wink_smil but then I could be wrong.:BangHead:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Reggie,

Ditto bolts, nuts, washers, etc. instead of lags. 316 SS is marginally more expensive than 304/306, but the added strength and superior corrosion resistance is a small price to pay in the overall scheme.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Hatteras Hammocks has some interesting frames that you can look at. Click "View Details" to get a better look and you can mouse over the pics to get a closer look.

http://hatterashammocks.com/double-swings.php

Swing stands with dimensions.

http://hatterashammocks.com/swing-stands.php

I imagine that some of their frames are laminated cypress. Maybe Fred has some insight to offer on that point. Also, Greg Paolini might offer some thoughts as well. :dontknow:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Did you notice the price on the Roman Arc swing stand. $649.00!!!!

Yes I did, but I was sitting down at the time.

Reggie has two (2) dealers near him; Monroe and Harrisburg. Perhaps he could do a little sleuthing around to see what it looks like and how its constructed. His LOHL could conceal a digital camera in her purse to catch a few pics.

Kinda like Inspectors Clouseau and Columbo! :wink_smil

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Reggie, did you ever find your design/materials solution for this? :icon_scra Someone at work was just asking me about what possibilities there were for replacing his kids rusty swing frame with something wooden and it sent me looking for this to see what you worked out.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors