Swing Arm Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeF

New User
Mike
First time I have seen one of these. Seems to me that the blade would swing up and toward the operator. How would this be used?

836e_1.JPG

It is a listing on eBay and part of the description says:

"These saws are no longer allowed by OSHA in commercial shops"

Can't imagine why. :eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's bizarre. I can't see how it could be very safe or effective. Due to the arc of the swing I would think that the depth of cut would change and it really wouldn't have much width of cut either :dontknow::dontknow:

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
The only thing that I can see it good for is on a rough-end line where they cut the rough cut boards to length and then they would go to the glue press - something like they use to have in the furniture factories that use to be around here and now they are ghost mills

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Seems to me like it would operate similar to a miter saw? Only on a larger scale?:dontknow::eusa_thin

Can't imagine why/how this has any real advantage over a radial arm saw though.

MikeF

New User
Mike
I guess it was used like a radial arm saw. The strange thing is that these were made up until the early 80's. I thought radial arm saws had been around for a long time then.

From OSHA's site:

swngsaw.gif

Last edited:

fergy

New User
Fergy
Ah, according to the animated drawing, the only thing wrong with that saw on Ebay is that it's missing the safety guards. :)

Can you imagine the accidents where the saw kicked back and embedded itself in the sternum of the operator? At least it was probably a quick death.

MikeF

New User
Mike
Yeah, that could inflict some pain if not careful. Thanks for the link Ed, it looks like an interesting site.

-mike

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Didn't Edgar Allan Poe write about one of those?? No, wait, that was a pendulum.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS