Survey on HF lathes

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
OK before anybody starts throwin rocks,this not a thread to knock these lathes at all :no:,but how long have you folks had your lathe,or better yet ,how old is it.Hope you understand. :gar-Bi ole pals,ole buddys :gar-Bi

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Quality less than desired

Inherited a large HF lathe. Put it together and used it for 6 months. Meanwhile I took several turning classes, I figured out what features I wanted. The HF lathe lock downs never worked well, one broke almost immediately. All bolts seemed to made out of cheap pot metal, rather than something that could be reliably be firmly tightened over and over again. The stand was way to flimsy, wobbled badly when turning blocks, and wasn't strong enough to handle much additional weight. None of the accessories were quality. The whole thing needed some preparation and care to get it right before it was a useful lathe and reliable performer. The HF turning tools were even worse. I was a whole happier when I bought a Jet lathe and also some good turning tools.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Um Not sure how old mine is, I got it from DaveO in Feb this year & I know I love it ~!

Just got to get mine all deck out like Earl's~! Then it would truely Rock~!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
My first one lasted less than 30 days (Motor burnt out) Got refunded with no issues!

My second one is 2yrs old and going strong (bought the extended warrranty this time!).

Good lathe if you get a good one!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
seems to be a crap shoot!:gar-Bi If you get a good one you saved a lot of money. If not you spent all the savings running back and forth to exchange stuff. they do honor the warantee so do you feel lucky?????????????:rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Have had a used 34706 for about 2 years now.

(It is probably about 4 years old.)

Not had any issues at all.:dontknow:

Wayne

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
34706 had it sinch march use it a ot love it heab stock turns 30,60,90,180 great fun every use had a belt break the sent me 4 as free replacements

Thanks Mark

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I've had mine for a bout two months but all I've done with it so far is to turn it on and make sure it works. It came along with most of a shop worth of tools and I've not gotten around to it yet (see my Who we are thread). I know the previous owner had it for a few years and made a lot of wonderful items.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I had mine for about 2 years before I gave it to Matt. It saw very heavy use while in my possession.

Dave:)

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Just under a year before upgrading to the mustard mistress. Though I really do not advocate this lathe to new turners, it can be a real bummer if you get a bad one and leave a bad impression. Not bad for pens and spindles, but it takes a lot to make it decent for bowls. Earl really makes his shine as do a few others, but they are the exceptions not the rule.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Had my first one for about a month then had to take it back (motor burned up). Waited 3 weeks and they still couldn't get another one in stock. Eventually settled on the floor model, which had some dings in it and wasn't put together that well. Also, the variable speed that should have 8 or 10 settings only has 2, fairly fast and really really fast (still not sure exactly what speed I'm turning at :eusa_thin). Other than that, the second one has lasted me for about 8 months and has had a decent amount of activity (almost all bowls). I know I've knocked it a lot, but that is mainly because of the "service experience." If you spend $300 on something, IMHO, it better work. In my experience, it hasn't worked as it should've the entire time. I know that some others have had better experiences with theirs.

I guess it strikes home for me because in my job, I work on people's homes and I guarantee my work. I do a great deal to make sure the job is done right, the first time and since I've been with the company, we haven't had to go back and fix anything. So second and third chances for a piece of equipment built on an assembly line is unacceptable to me.

Just my .02 :icon_thum

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Thanks folks for your input.
It seems that most of these lathes that were bought several yrs ago seemed to hold up better.I know a few turners that have had then for over 8 yrs and make beautifull turnings,but it seems that the ones,for the most part that are being manufactured within the last few yrs are a shot in the dark as to what you end up with.I know that I went thru about 5 of em because the motors just couldn't cut it,not to mention the tool rest breaking and the reeves drive coming apart,an a few other things before I got my Nova.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Had one for about 2 months. Seems to being doing well. I live close to a HF store so I can take it back fairly easily. My son has turned a couple of things on it so far. Think I got one of the goods ones. Guess I'll know in a few months.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Ken,
I've had mine for about 3 years. Haven't really pushed it hard, but so far it has been great.:icon_thum Since I have only done pens, a few spindles and some duck calls, maybe mine shouldn't even be counted:dontknow:. I'm not brave enough to chuck up a huge burl like you do:swoon:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS