Surprise Me!

Which Wood Species?

• Total voters

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
So, I have been working in the shop and have picked up orders for cigar humidors and I am able to get them out relatively quickly given my full time job. I recently received an order for a humidor and when I received the order, I requested a wood preference. The customer told me to surprise him. Now the majority of the humidors I have built have been Paduak, while it is a very pretty wood, I have been given some artistic license. So I am looking for the opinion from the male population on species preference for visual appeal. Would you choose Purpleheart over say Goncalo Alves or some other species altogether? I would really like to do it out of Purpleheart but I don't want for it to appear feminine to him.

(For anyone that may have questions on if that is the only wood that will be used the answer is a loud resounding No. The inside of the humidor has to be Spanish Cedar regardless of the outer species.)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Purple heart stinks when you cut it as well.

Cocobolo, Zebra wood is kinda cool, Bloodwood be advised Bloodwood sometimes can cause a reaction so wear a mask/respirator...... :p just go buy some from Amazon :rolleyes: :oops: :p pretty much any of the real colorful woods should have a UV clearcoat on them as they will oxidize from the sun over time.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Quarter sawn White Oak primary, with purpleheart accents would look good. Even if the purpleheart turns brown (some doesn't) it will still look good as would walnut accents.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's always the option of using a simple form with non-figured exotic dark wood
and a few $6.00 starburst oval inlays.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Zebrawood and Wenge.
1586489819026.png

1586490136418.png

Um, I didn't make these. I love the combination though.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
My first thought was Zebrawood as well - along the lines of Martin. Love those pics with the dark contrast.
Of course cherry is a personal fav - for almost anything. I don't have a pic, but I have done a jewelry box in cherry with hickory or ambrosia maple top (can't recall).

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A lot of good suggestions Tonika. I'd like to go to a store that sells exotic hardwoods and look over the stock, then purchase that wood that stimulates your inner artist. Whatever you decide, I know it will be outstanding! Happy sawdusting dear lady!

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Well, after talking to a few people in person that know the man that I am making the humidor for and going to the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, I looked for curly maple that was the appropriate dimensions, I looked for walnut that was the appropriate dimensions, I looked for Goncalo Alves that was the appropriate dimensions, I looked at a few other species as well but the species that they had outside of Paduak, that was the appropriate dimensions was Purpleheart. I know it stinks when you cut it and it turns darker brown as it ages but I still think it will be pleasing to look at and use. With that being said I may try to do a combination of species for the center of the raised panel top since I have some artistic license on this project.

Reactions: Oka

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
So just to give an up date on the Humidor build I chose to do purpleheart and hard maple for the raised panel top. This humidor is the only one that I have done the raised panel like this on. The people that know the man that is going to said they are jealous and that he will love it. I really hope he likes it, I believe it will turn out beautifully.

Attachments

• 20200421_193805.jpg
    20200421_193805.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 204

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Cherry, and you can add contrasting accents.

This was a commission for an Army pilot who was returning from a tour in Afghanistan.View attachment 192784
How was the flag on the top of this humidor done? I really like it but I don't know how to do it so that it turns out correctly. I would love to use something like this on another build in the near future.

Wannabe

New User
Vic
So, I have been working in the shop and have picked up orders for cigar humidors and I am able to get them out relatively quickly given my full time job. I recently received an order for a humidor and when I received the order, I requested a wood preference. The customer told me to surprise him. Now the majority of the humidors I have built have been Paduak, while it is a very pretty wood, I have been given some artistic license. So I am looking for the opinion from the male population on species preference for visual appeal. Would you choose Purpleheart over say Goncalo Alves or some other species altogether? I would really like to do it out of Purpleheart but I don't want for it to appear feminine to him.

(For anyone that may have questions on if that is the only wood that will be used the answer is a loud resounding No. The inside of the humidor has to be Spanish Cedar regardless of the outer species.)

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Hey Tgillis, how are you? I'm a newbie at this thing, so my opinion may be distorted. However, I've visited the NC wood store where I could view the various species up close. Purple heart is a beautiful wood and in my opinion it would not be to girly. Furthermore, I looked at curly maple also and it struck me as an awesome looking wood. Ended up purchasing some for a project. Good luck with your choice.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS