Surprise Me!

Which Wood Species?

• Total voters

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
How was the flag on the top of this humidor done? I really like it but I don't know how to do it so that it turns out correctly. I would love to use something like this on another build in the near future.

The light colored stripes are maple and the reddish ones are Brazilian cherry glued up in 1/2" thick strips so it's a solid wood top. It could have been veneered, but I'm better at glue ups than veneering. The blue field with white stars was printed (laser printer) on plain paper, then glued onto the top before applying the sprayed lacquer finish. Maybe that's cheating, but I don't have the patience to paint the blue background and white stars, even if you masked the stars, then the background, and the thickness of the paper isn't really noticeable. There are 13 stripes: 7 red, 6 white, so your have to size the stripes proportionally to your box dimensions. The blue field has to be sized to 5 stripes, keeping the height to width ratio constant. This can be done on a color copier if you don't have software to do it before printing. I made a practice top out of cutoffs before I made the one in the picture.

Update: It's been 3 years or so since I built that humidor and I responded from memory, which isn't what it used to be. I want to clarify a couple things. On a real flag, the typical proportions being 3x5, the blue field is 7 stripes tall, not 5. The dimensions of my humidor weren't proportioned for a real flag, so I reduced the size of the blue field so it looked closer to a typical flag. The key was to line the bottom edge of the blue field up with one of the horizontal stripes. If you decide to make your own flag, please use the right size blue field or be aware that you're being 'creative' if you don't.

Last edited:

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
The light colored stripes are maple and the reddish ones are Brazilian cherry glued up in 1/2" thick strips so it's a solid wood top. It could have been veneered, but I'm better at glue ups than veneering. The blue field with white stars was printed (laser printer) on plain paper, then glued onto the top before applying the sprayed lacquer finish. Maybe that's cheating, but I don't have the patience to paint the blue background and white stars, even if you masked the stars, then the background, and the thickness of the paper isn't really noticeable. There are 13 stripes: 7 red, 6 white, so your have to size the stripes proportionally to your box dimensions. The blue field has to be sized to 5 stripes, keeping the height to width ratio constant. This can be done on a color copier if you don't have software to do it before printing. I made a practice top out of cutoffs before I made the one in the picture.
Thanks very much!

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
So I recently finished the humidor and used UV resistant lacquer to give the color some extra life. Here is the final product

Attachments

• 20200620_155541.jpg
    20200620_155541.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • 20200620_155549.jpg
    20200620_155549.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • 20200620_155558.jpg
    20200620_155558.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 146

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors