Surge protector

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Anybody put one in their panel on their own ? Is a permit required? Looks easy enough, but are there suggestions?
Stay safe, Ed

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In theory, it should be done by a licensed electrician. But you may be able to contact your code office and see if there are any odd code requirements that are not obvious. Personally, I would just do it, but I have a lot of electrical experience.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I put one in both of my incoming boxes several years ago. I purchased them from Amazon. So far, no issues with the installation and I haven’t experienced any problems with surges. I do not have much electrical experience.

Lecil

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I lost the neutral to a squirrel chomping on our wire from the pole. Fried my refrigerator and range. And every surge protector in the house, which did protect my electronic devices. I am definitely getting one on the panel. Not sure what Duke Energy charges, but I just spent $3000, so I would have been ahead.

BTW, a very interesting experience. My house was haunted, with the lights in some rooms blinding and barely lit in the adjacent room. Every bulb that was suspect blew too.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Just depends on what kind of surge protection you want. Remember, there are 2 types of protection, surge and clamping. Clamping refers to holding voltage constant when the power fluctuates below about 5-8% typically. If you are set up correctly , meaning: you have a dedicated sub panel, then it is easy to do. All that would be required to to add a sub main breaker that would address surge and brownout. Just depends. Honestly, just a simple surge protector on equipment will also do. Where you really need it is on digital electronics like on a cnc machine. The table saw and those basic machines not so much.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
This is the product I used. I didn’t realize it’s been 8 years since I installed them, time flies. I am not sure if it a clamping or surge type.

Lecil

Attachments

• 8E039FDE-7F91-46BE-A501-418F7EA2F7C7.jpeg
    8E039FDE-7F91-46BE-A501-418F7EA2F7C7.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 116

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS