Surfacing Strips For Bent Lamination

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I'm getting ready to cut 10 3.5" wide white oak strips for a glue-up lamination. They will make curved legs for a wall shelf box. My ?: Do I need to surface sand the laminations or can I go straight to glue-up after resawing the strips on my band saw. I get reasonably clean surfaces with the band saw.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Best to resurface and keep in the same order. Plastic resin glue has a much longer open time and allows time to get all the surfaces covered and get all the clamps placed.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Best to resurface and keep in the same order. Plastic resin glue has a much longer open time and allows time to get all the surfaces covered and get all the clamps placed.

Excellent advise. Plus the plastic resin glue doesn't have the tendency to cold flow over time like PVA (Titebond, etc.) glues will.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
If you do not have a drum sander, I'd recommend that you lay the strips side by side and sand them as a group to insure equal sanding and to avoid rounding any of the edges.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I think those little slow-feeding high RPM surface planers with sharp knives will do nicely. I've used them for that before and they put a nice finish on the wood ready for glue.
I guess another thing that should go without saying is lots of very strong clamps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS