Supermax 37x2 adequate dust collector?

Davebrad

New User
Dave
I am thinking of upgrading to the supermax 37x2 drum sander and looking at the specs it says I need at least 1800 cfm. My dust collector now is no where near that so I’ll have to upgrade that as well. I would like to get some input from owners of the 37x2 and their dust collection setup for it. Thanks in advance for any info.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 3HP Penn State collector/blower on mine. I use two 4" flex hose that connect to my 6" main run There is probably 24 feet of the 6" measured from the sander to the blower. The output of the blower goes directly into the woods behind my shop. This seems to work fine

Davebrad

New User
Dave
I have a 3HP Penn State collector/blower on mine. I use two 4" flex hose that connect to my 6" main run There is probably 24 feet of the 6" measured from the sander to the blower. The output of the blower goes directly into the woods behind my shop. This seems to work fine
I’ll take a look at that one I didn’t even know penn state sold them thank you. I have read on some other forms that blowing outside is better with the big sanders too because of all the fine dust it will clog the filters a lot faster. Does yours only have 2 4” ports on top of the sander? The ones now have 3 4” ports.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Penn State Industries discontinued their cyclone dust collectors a few years ago. Your best bet IMHO is the ClearVue CV1800 if you want the best dust collection from your shop.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Penn State Industries discontinued their cyclone dust collectors a few years ago. Your best bet IMHO is the ClearVue CV1800 if you want the best dust collection from your shop.
Yea I found that out last night. Apparently from the graph clearvue has penn state was the next best one after clearvue. I was looking at the clearvue v system 3000. I was wanting to just get a 3-5hp blower and pipe it outside but those are hard to find.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I use two 4" hoses connecting to a 6" wye and duct leading to a 5 hp, 2000 CFM cyclone from Oneida. The run from sander to collector is appx. 20'. I'm not sure how much CFM is actually needed since all the dust is fine particles which flow very freely, as opposed to chips from the jointer or planer.

Be sure to leave extra flex room in the two 4" hoses so you can raise the cover to change belts.

IMG_1242.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS