Super Glue ToThe Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It's that time of the year again. Those little painful cracks appear on the ends of your fingers. Clean then out with soap and water, let them dry, and put a drop of super glue on the crack. If the crack is open, have someone help you close it prior to super gluing. As a side note, I have found that Dermasil from DollarTree does a great job on keeping my hands healthy.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having had an issues with dry skin for many years I have found Equate Brand Extra Moisture from Wally World applied 4-5 a day helps to prevent the cracking in the first place. However you have to apply it every day before the skin cracks.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Super Glue - coating?

I try a different 'tack' with the CA glue. I just coat the open crack or cut with some CA and let it dry I try to do this without touching anything! Tonight I almost glued my thumb to some of my facial hair - I thought the CA had cured/dried.

This significantly reduces the pain associated with the crack in the skin, and healing starts.

Henry

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can safely say that 'personal repair' is by far the primary use for super glue in my house (in fairness I am not a turner, or the roles might be reversed). My health issues and medications leave me with skin, particularly my hands, that cracks and splits very easily -- any time of the year -- but especially in the winter.

I also find that Curel hand lotion helps immensely. If it gets bad then I also use Working Hands cream which is a parafin based cream -- though I prefer to do so before bedtime since it takes a while to dry, leaving your hands greasy for awhile until the parafin has dried. I can also attest to it being a great solution for anyone whose feet are prone to splitting or developing thick hardened skin -- an application twice a day (after showering and before bed) does wonders.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have a friend with similar issues. He swears by Bag Balm. He also uses it for minor cuts & scrapes and says it works better than anything else he's tried. I have used it for cuts & stuff and have to admit it did work well.

Anyone else tried this? Might be worth it.

bholcombe

New User
Ben
I just superglued my fingernail back together yesterday. Somehow managed to split it about half way down by reaching into a box of drywall screws and I guess I hit a screw in just the wrong way. The stuff is a lifesaver.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
I was just thinking about this on the way home from work today. I am in the healthcare field and wash my hands, what seems like, a billion times a day. My knuckles crack and bleed in the winter time even when I'm not in the shop. :BangHead::BangHead: I'm a fan of the Bert's Bee's hand salve myself.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you don't like lotions, the "Climb on" brand hand wax that REI sells (for rock climbers to remoisten the skin after using the talc or rosin) works well also. Works great for chapped lips, etc also.

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I use corn huskers lotion when my skin gets like that. Heals them up in a hurry.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tip. The misses swears by Zims Crack Cream, sold at Wally World and other fine retail outlets.

I should have guessed someone would find stuff called chicken poop :rotflm: but, I think I'll pass :nah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS