Super Dust Deputy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBradley190

New User
Tim
Gentlemen,
Now that my lumber racks are finished, my next shop upgade is hard piping my dust collection. I'm currently using a woodtek 2hp dc with 5 micron bags (which are a pain to empty when I'm planing). My first thought was to incorporate a trash can separator to make empting easier, but I know it would cut down on efficiency and that's what I'm trying to improve. I looked at Oneida's super dust deputy ($200) and thought about disconnecting the blower from the frame of my dc and connecting it directly on top of the cyclone and mounting it to the wall and continue to use my 5 micron bags.

In theory, I'm thinking this would be more efficient since the chips won't be travelling through the impeller, and a 30 gal trash can would be easier to empty. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, was there a noticable improvement? If this works, it would the cheapest way for me to go since I'm already sporting a 2hp dc. All thoughts appreciated,

Tim

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have that setup but with a Jet Dc 1100. I have a plastic 55 gal drum under my SDD and since putting it on I have emptied the drum 6 or 7 times and there's maybe a 1/2" of fine dust in the DC bag and I have blown filter out once. Not perfect but much better than the DC alone.

I have looked at doing the same thing.... I think someone bought one here but returned it but I could be wrong...

personally upgrading a wynn environmental cartridge filter might be a better way to spend the money. it would filter down finer and since the filter is pleated you would have more surface area with a cartridge filter

I am looking to turn my Top Hat when I have time.... I am currently using the Thein Baffle in at the bag below the filter and it works ok but now I have more tools that make bigger chips and not just dust

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?33119-Pentz-Cyclone-vs.-Thien-Separator

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on a Wynn cartridge, trash can separator and Thien baffle. Yes, your system will lose some efficiency due to the trash can separator, but you gain a lot of that back (all? more even?) by not having the filters/ bags clog with dust as much. Note that the Dust Deputy, like a trash can separator, will also cause some loss of static pressure.

Regardless of which way you go, adding a second stage is bound to help. It also makes cleanup a whole lot easier.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Give a look at the April 2013 issue of Fine WoodWorking magazine. They have a "Soup up your dust collector" that goes over these options, Thien Baffle, Super Dust Deputy, Trash Can Cyclone Lid, cartridge filters. Their best value pick was a Wynn cartridge and Thien Baffle($168). Best Overall pick is the Wynn cartridge and the Super Dust Deputy ($368). If you are like me, I am looking at where to "Best" put my money. I currently roll around a woodtek single stage so do I start the expense of permanent plumming or add a trash can cyclone or Super Dust Deputy. I don't have the answer but this article will give you more food for thought.

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS