Summer Projects

PappiJoe

New User
E
Hello Everyone-

I hope you and your family are all healthy and staying safe.

My wife and I are expecting our 3rd child and, after suggesting we spend $3K - $4K in Pottery Barn Kids furniture, she motivated me to work on a Baby Crib & Dresser. I shared my journey with @Graywolf and, after completing the dresser, he said I should share some picture with you all.

I started with the baby crib an once that was done, my wife asked for a dresser. Quick note: when I started my interest in woodworking a couple of years ago, I never thought I would be making the furniture for my next child. It was humbling.

Baby Crib

It is mostly made out of African Mahogany & Sapele. The top side rails are made out of Leopard Wood and the mattress frame is made out of Cherry and Pine. Amber shellac finish. The frame can be set at three (3) different heights. It took me about 57 days to complete this project (weekend by weekend).

1597250933228.png

1597250988080.png

1597250951586.png

Baby Dresser

Its made out of Sapele and the drawers are made out of Wormy Maple. All dovetailing was done by hand (~488 dovetails/pins, honestly I lost count) and drawer rails are all wood as well. Amber shellac finish outside and oil finish on the drawers. I even used my branding iron, marking one of the drawers with it. It took about 53 days to complete this project (weekend by weekend).

1597251025747.png

1597251039387.png

1597251057522.png

1597251091265.png

1597251111521.png

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Wow, awesome! I missed the boat on making the furniture for my kids, so now I'm setting my sights on making some really nice jewelry boxes for my daughters and not sure yet for my son. I want something that they can keep and use for a long time.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. Inset, hand-dovetailed drawers for the dresser and 3-way adjustable crib.
Looks almost as good as the stuff at Pottery Barn! :D:D:D

Very nice work indeed! Never even heard of Leopard wood.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
See I told you they would like them, you did a great job. Your wife should be proud of you.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Fantastic work! How cool is it that you'll be able to enjoy seeing your children use them, then pass them down for their kids.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS