Suggestions? Table saw fence upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claus

Claus
User
I have a standard craftsman contractor style table saw that generally meets most of my needs. The biggest shortcoming is the fence and I'd like to upgrade to something better than the stock version. Has anyone had experiences with an upgrade like this? I don't want to spend so much that I'd be approaching the cost of just getting a new saw. I'd love to hear any of your opinions, experiences, or suggestions.

Thanks,
-- Claus

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Many year ago, I bought a grizzly table saw in their earlier years. I saved for a long time for that saw, and when I got it, the fence ruined it. I sold the saw and bought a 1958 unisaw that needed some TLC. I then bought a Biesemyer fence and it was worked great for me. It's been a pretty good while, but they (Biesemyer) use to have returns or other mismatched fence part you could buy that were not full price, especially with the shorter rails which you might want to consider for that saw if you go with that option. There are other good fence choices that might fit your size saw better, which others can attest to. I do agree that an inaccurate fence is a birch.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I rebuilt an older ('50s) Craftsman Contractor. I also went out and bought another identical saw that had a Delta T2 setup on it. Married the two and sold off the spare parts to recoup some $$. Fence works well and you can find them new for under $150. I only had to drill one or two holes to match. the one I got did not have a back rail. Delta wanted $75 for a replacement, i substituted a salvaged bed frame rail. silly people. I also was keeping an eye out for the Craftsman Align-A-rip (?), but this came up first. It looked like a good fence.

IMG_0062.jpg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I got a craftsman 10" with the original fence from a neighbor who had upgraded.
CPO tools had the Delta T2 refurbished for a little over $100.
Had to drill a couple of holes but install was pretty straight forward and I've been happy with it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Vega makes some real nice after market fences for a lot of saws. They even matched Amazon's price for the one that I bought when Amazon said it was backordered indefinitely.

Call them and ask if they have something you could use. They are very easy to deal with. My fence had a broken handle (cracked plastic) when it arrived. I sent them an email picture of it and they immediately sent out a replacement.

Very nice accurate fence with micro-adjust feature that I use occasionally. This one went on a SawStop PCS. Might be out of the price range you want to pay, but it never hurts to ask what they have available.

- Ken.

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
I have had two Incra fences on my different saws. After using them for about 10 years, I would never go another day without one. It is the very best setup I have ever used. The reason is the repeatability and finding a dimension in the first place, right away.
For example, let's say you need to cut a part to fit into a groove. Using calipers you find you need .760. So you set your Biesemyer (sp?) to something close to 3/4 and make a test cut, then bump the fence to make it closer to what you want, make another test cut, then bump the fence again...and on and on until you find .760.

With the Incra, you set the fence at .750, then dial in another .010 make the cut and you have EXACTLY .760 - every single time.

The other scenario is, after setting the Biesemyer to get the cut you want (.760), and then changing the fence to make another cut, you discover you need another part at that original setting of .760. Now you have to start the bump, bump, bump process all over again.

With the Incra, you go directly to the .760 setting and make your cut.

I know they are expensive, but boy are they worth it.

Last edited:

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
I have to 2nd WDWRKR. I was in your place just a month ago. Wanted an upgrade fence - router table, etc. I had passed by the Incra LS fences in stores and to be honest, thought -- too light looking and too much money, for what and wouldn't have laid down the cash for the system but let me tell you, I am so overly impressed. The fence locks up tight, you can rock your saw with it and I have played around with the fence, set it initially by sight, then got a set of digital / fractional calipers and went back and dialed in the measurment. I went back yesterday after pulling the fence up to add the additional table, and with their stops, set the fence down, made a cleanup cut, set the fence for 2 1/2 inches, made the cut and measured and it was dead on, 2.500. and yes I played around and bumpped it down, click off .003, make a cut and measure and it will have changed the cut by the amount you dial in. I was using a tennon jig, made a cut slightly oversized, measured the tennon and the mortise, clicked in 1/2 the difference, (each side), made the cut and test fit and it was perfect. That fence system and a solid saw base, one that's blade is in alignment with the miter slot, with a good blade with no runout and you will be thrilled. I love my Grizzly saw but the real change in the confidence in cuts is in the INCRA LS.

Good luck to ya,

Duane

g0a

Joey
Senior User
I would have gotten an Incra if it would go 0-50" without changing the fence locking tabs at 32". Deal breaker for me as I use a lot of sheet goods. Love every other thing about it though

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have not ever inspected an Incra fence, but whenever I see a picture I think "Hmmm, that looks like it will need a LOT of room on the right side of the saw when the fence is a max capacity!" That threaded(?) rod would need to be as long as the fence capacity, wouldn't it? Therefore it would need another 30/36/52" to the right of the actual fence? Am I correct?

Henry W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS