Suggestions, please - lighting for workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

growing_tree

New User
Matt Breen
Hi all, I need some advice on lighting my workshop (garage).

It has several 6-foot flourescent tube light boxes, and all but 2
are broken. I currently use an extension spotlight for my work but am in desperate need of a real solution. I'm not really keen on replacing the large buzzing flourescents and while those small 500 watt halogen construction set lights would do the trick, I'm hoping to find something that doesn't suck so much juice. What is your setup like?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
8 - 10 8' flouresents. the buzz goes away as your hearing diminishes anyway!:crybaby2: t-8 flouresents dont buzz so bad [ so im told ] but they cost more sooo.... if your a cheep b------d like me this may not be an option.:rolf: hallogens are HOT in the summer time....

fred

alleng

New User
allen
you didnt mention how big your shop is.mine is 32x32,and i have 15 4' flouresent shoplights from lowes,spaced evenly.if i recall,they were about 8 bucks .i got some 1'' pvc pipeand cut 1.5'' pieces of it and used it as spacersbetween the celing and light,that way i didnt have to use those chains to hang em with,easyer to change the bulbs and looks better too.also with this many lights i have little or no problem with shadows.bty mine dont hummmm like the longer ones do

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
There was a good article in FWW annual shop issue regarding lighting.
I basically followed the recommandations of the article with very good results.
The only thing I would do different now is to replace double 8' fluorescent fixtures with 2 double 4' fixtures (easier to hang and cheaper).

If interested I can dig up the article and sent you a .pdf copy.

Cheers,
Bernhard

growing_tree

New User
Matt Breen
Sure Bernhard, if you don't mind doing so I'd like to take a look. Chances are I probably will just buy new tubes for the existing setup.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Being on record as very displeased with halogen work lights......

I've seen a lot of nifty LED lighting options at Sears lately. Almost no power use, no heat and on average10,000 hours of continuous operation.

I do have 2 of those halogen shop light tubes. I installed them in an L pattern. There is a lot of light, and heat. Not to mention the cost of new bulbs. One big pain is they use 125Watt long halogen bulbs. I've had a lot of trouble finding replacement bulbs. An odd size.

Jim

woodydiver

New User
curt
hello,
The buzzing only happends on the older induction ballasts(T12). they also have a temp of 50 degrees f to light up properly ( no flickering). i have noticed that even the T12 electronic ballasts have a higher start up temp (40-50 degrees f).

Most of the newer lights have electronic ballasts (T8) and will start up as low as 0 degrees with out flickering. The electronc ballasts are quiet with no buzzing at all.

I would check some of the recycle centers for the 4 bulb 4 foot fixtures used in most offices. If you do not have a source for the ballasts let me know i can get them for 1/2 the cost at lowes. The last ones i bought were around 14 dollars.

i have a 12x24 shop with 4 ea 4bulb four foot fixtures and 2ea 8foot 2 bulb fixtures. almost need sun glasses once they are up to temp.

i have also noticed that the t8 bulbs arent as bright as the t12 bulbs (cool white). but with enought fixtures you wont notice the difference.
hope this helps.
curt

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm using the 6-foot flourescent lights with the better ballast. They start right up, even in the dead of winter, and I've yet to hear any buzz from them. Picked them up at Lowes or Home Depot a couple years ago for about $50 each.

M

McRabbet

I bought 2' x 4' T-8 Troffer fixtures (made for suspended ceilings) at the BORG two years ago and hung them on "S" hooks and chain from my shop ceiling. They come equipped with a 6-foot long wiring whip and have four 4-foot 32W T-8 bulbs included for less than $45 each. I have 8 of them and they illuminate my 800 square feet very well. They make no sound as they have electronic ballasts. Easy to install, efficient lighting.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Stay away from el cheapo bulbs and the el cheapo shop fixtures at Lowes. Learned that the hard way. I ended up buying the fixtures at HD that had a cord preinstalled and have been pretty happy with them. To give perspective 24 4 ft fixtures in a 24x32 shop.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Stay away from el cheapo bulbs and the el cheapo shop fixtures at Lowes. Learned that the hard way. I ended up buying the fixtures at HD that had a cord preinstalled and have been pretty happy with them. To give perspective 24 4 ft fixtures in a 24x32 shop.

What might you have learned the hard way about these fixtures? I, too, am in need of increasing the lighting in my shop/basement.

TIA!

~Phillip

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
In general, shop light fixtures from the BORG are garbage. The only ones that have worked consistently is the brand Lights of America. They are preassembled and have chains. They were around 9 or 10 bucks apiece, but they worked right.

As for bulbs, pay a little extra and buy a bit better quality. They don't buzz or flicker near as much in my experience.

General buzz is common for cheaper fixtures. You get used to it IMO, but some are worse than others. The fixtures I mention above aren't too bad and in 5 years I haven't had to replace one. To get no buzz you have to go to higher end fixtures with electronic ballasts, etc which equals higher cost.

As for the el cheapo fixtures, I bought 10 and out of them 5 were bad out of the box. My usggestion is decide on a fixture, try 1 or 2, see how they work and go from there.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't because of a safety reason, for seven bucks and some change I can deal with the lights buzzin and if it starts flickering I'll prbly replace the bulbs. Once I turn on the saw, or even the radio I don't notice the buzzin... My main reason for going el cheapo is b/c my wife and I are renting a house in charlotte until I can finish school and then we're moving back to Sanford, so I don't want invest too much in the "permanent" lighting downstairs...

Thanks again!
~Phillip

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I use the 8' high output flourescent fixtures with dual 110Watt bulbs. They start in very cold weather, and put out an incredible amount of light. They are not cheap (about 40 bucks a fixture plus bulbs), but I have had great service out of them. Very little if any discernable buzz.

Scott

GeorgeL

New User
George
I bought the cheap US made 4' T-8 fixtures from Wal-Mart for $5ea and used Daylight bulbs from HD. I currently have 10 of these 2-bulb fixtures in my 19 X 36 shop with 8' ceiling. I know I could use 2-4 more to fill in some of the corners. I’ve had these in service for about 5 months with no problems, flicker or buzzing.

George

702a88

New User
Steve
HD has T8 4' SS shop lights on clearance for 10 bucks. I picked up 12 for my shop/garage leaving the Providence Road store empty. Plugged one in as a test with 6800K bulbs and no buzz what so ever.:eusa_clap

alleng

New User
allen
the 4' shoplights i have came from lowes in 1997,they have never failed nor have i had to replace a bulb.BUT on the other hand,as you probaly know,lowes changes brands evry 6 mos or so it seems.so i cant realy say for sure about what they are selling today,only that the 4 ' lights were only about 8 or 9 bucks back then,and for 10 years they have served me WELL.i have enough of them that there is hardly any shadows.sure you can get the more expensive 8' lights,but isnt saving money what its all about? all i can say is they work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors