Suggestions on new console design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Planning on making something like pictured below but with some changes.

1) A G&G cloud lift in the main horizontal stretchers
2) Espresso color (Maple/poplar/etc)
3) Maybe some edge treatment on glass edge
4) hopefully significantly cheaper than the $1000 price tag of the one below

Questions:
1) The planned final thickness of members will probably around 1 1/4". Is there any precautions in gluing up the wide leg which is probably around 12" wide?
(I plan on alternating ring direction and bisquiting joints).
2) Is there an alternative to solid wood? I have access to unlimited walnut veneer but I've never done it before. The tapered ends of stretchers would seem tough to do. My estimate is 22 bf of 6/4 so that should be less than $100 and that seems to be pretty cheap compared to the time effort of veneering over some plywood core.
3) I plan on making the non-symmetrical curves on the edges with a 1" roundover from one face converging with at 5/8" roundover (or thereabouts)from the reverse face. Any other methods since I'd have to buy a 1" roundover?
4) Any other warnings?

30vfbz5.jpg

2hqxu1x.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Nice looking table. Pretty straight forward construction. My only comment is not to worry about alternating growth rings and look for a really good grain color match. Or, better yet, you could buy some 12" wide boards! Choose your wood wisely.

For the edge treatment you could always go the hand tool route with a hand plane, spoke shave, rasp, file, scraper. Them 1" roundover's are expensive!

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors