Suggestions for what TPI I should file my saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I've got two old Disstons (Post Phila. models) that are in need of retoothing. What would be your recommendation for an all around rip and crosscut tooth count for starting a using handsaw grouping. I've already filed off the old teeth so anything is possible.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I understand your question, you want to have one saw for both purposes. I don't know that there is an ideal for both, because the rip TPI is usually a more coarse blade, but the tooth is not usually beveled as well as having a wider set. I would think you wouldn't be satisfied with its performance on either task. JMTCW However, if you are looking at having one saw for each, I believe most crosscuts are filed at a 9-11 pt. and most rips go 7 or 8. It really depends too on whether you're using mostly hardwoods or not, and if you're doing framing cuts versus trim work.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I see these as being used to break down rough stock like 5/4 cherry or oak to start the stock prep routine. So far, all the work in pine is pretty rough like outdoor work tables and storage. Could see doing some thicker stock for chair seats and items like a sawbench on occasion.

I have two saws ready for filing and want to file one to rip and one to crosscut. I have other saws that will be added later on as needed, but want a couple of general use saws to get started.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like a very course Rip Saw with 5 or 6 max TPI. Crosscut will be a lot finer, somewhere in the 9-12 range with my preference around 11. So I guess I agree with Mike (like that's never happened before.)

If for rough cutting stock give the crosscut a fairly wide set to speed up the cuts at the expense of a very smooth surface. Not needed so much on the Rip but it needs some set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS