Suggestions for protecting tools in a garage shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnelson

New User
Larry
After 3.5 years of my shop being in storage due to living in a rental house with no potential shop space, I am finally back in action! We just bought a nice house in Climax NC. I am converting one of the garage bays into my wood shop but noticed a problem that hopefully some of you might have a remedy for. Being from the north, my shops were always located in basements but now, with my tools being in a garage, I am noticing that surface rust is forming on all the machined surfaces.

I figure that I am not the only guy working out of a garage so I am hoping that someone has a solution. I am reluctant to put a layer of oil on the surfaces as it will quickly turn into a oil/sawdust sludge. Any thoughts on how to protect the tools that does not present functional or dust accumulation problems.

I really appreciate any ideas. And by the way, it is really good to be woodworking again!

Larry Nelson

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use paste wax [johnsons] some use bosheild with good results. I wax my iron 2-3 times per year. don't use anything with silicone in it.:icon_thum

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
There have been times when I have cleaned the rust off and waxed the the TS and jointer only to find them rusted back the next day. :BangHead: There are those here that swear by Boshield. I will not knock it, just a bit more expensive than wax. Fortunately the last year or so I have been lucky with paste wax. Unfortunately for your tools, welcome to the south with our 110% humidity.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Elbow grease

Once a year, I use a combination of cleaning the iron with kerosene (which has some oil in it and penetrates the metal), then a coat of Boshield, and then a couple of coats Johnson's paste wax with buffing. Redo the wax every month, or after a weekend of heavy use. Same process on all pieces. The wife complains, saying that the tools get more tender care than she does. But she never offers to help buff the iron, just complains. :eusa_thin

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Re: Elbow grease

Once a year, I use a combination of cleaning the iron with kerosene (which has some oil in it and penetrates the metal), then a coat of Boshield, and then a couple of coats Johnson's paste wax with buffing. Redo the wax every month, or after a weekend of heavy use. Same process on all pieces. The wife complains, saying that the tools get more tender care than she does. But she never offers to help buff the iron, just complains. :eusa_thin

Guy,

Does your wife even like, kerosene, Boshield, wax with her buffing? :gar-Bi

OUCH!

M

Sully

New User
jay
+1 on the paste wax

I probably wax the surfaces on my tools 4 times a year. Rarely do I have a problem with rust forming unless standing water is allowed to remain on a tool.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I pay attention to the temperature of the tools in the garage and the dewpoint outside. If warmer and damp weather is coming (like this coming Sunday/Monday) and my garage has been in the 40's, I know to heat it up or keep it closed. I also use a homemade rustproofing solution Bruce (Junquecol) talked about out of 1/2 block of Gulfwax Pariffin (canning section in the grocery store) grated with a cheeze grater disolved in a 16oz spray bottle of mineral spirits. Spray liberally, let dry overnight and buff with an old dish towell. No rust on any of my cast iron for the past 5 years since I started using it. I spray it whenever I think about it. Costs me less than $.50 for 3-4 years worth.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Another is Top Coate and a big YES to a dehumidifier. along with removing moisture it also will keep the air moving with the fan is uses. :wsmile::wsmile:

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I use a combination of slip-it and johnson paste wax with no problems. I apply the slip it and rub it in with orbital sander with a green scotch brite pad until it turns into a blackish sludge. (Just like mothers polish) I then wipe away all the slip-it. Apply a coat of wax let it dry and buff it off. After going on a 2 month deployment with the Marines the tools in the garage with no other protection, had no signs of rust on them.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
When I initially bought my tools I had the same issue and the same question. I now use Boeshield T9 then top it off with some paste wax. Aside from a sweat drop hitting the cast iron and rusting this has prevented rust completely since I applied the t9 almost a year ago. I reapply the wax as needed to keep friction down.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I have had success with the Sandaro products. They have one for saw blades and bits, bearing lube and surface spray. All their products reduce friction and protect the tool from buildup and rust. I apply the surface treatment out of the spray can and let it dry to a haze. Reduces friction and when you are done with the tool, wipe off the dust and reapply as needed. Before using, the tool surface needs to be cleaned of the rust as it is not a rust remover.
All the suggestions and the use of the Boeshield T9 should provide you with a good protection on the tool.

cptully

New User
Chris
Having lived in NC all my life, I've watched one friend's TS rust to the point that I would not even touch it... My dad and I have kept out iron in good shape with a simple coat of Johnson's Paste Wax for years now. I keep a can with a 0000 steel wool pad in the shop at all times and if the surface has the slightest bit of friction, I grab the wax and give it a quick coat. Even with a dehumidifier in my last basement shop, I had rust if I forgot to wax. Even in my totally unconditioned garage I get no rust if I keep the wax on the tools. I do get the occasional seat spot, but that's why I keep the steel wool in the wax can. Apply the wax with the steel wool and buff out the rust, then buff the table with a paper towel - no more rust and the tool is protected again.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
My shop is 5' above and less than 100' from a lake. All I have ever used on my cast iron machine tops is Johnsons Paste Wax. I give all of the tops a fresh coat about 4 times a year, or whenever the boards don't slide across them easily.

Charley

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
My dad and I, as well, struggled with rust for years. The best solution we have come up with (by accident, no less) is to keep a piece of particle board on your machined surfaces. I keep my crosscut sled on my table saw at all times while not in use. Haven't had a rust problem in years. I think the board regulates the humidity and temperature at the table surface, as well as absorbing any dew that would form on top.

I also recommend Boeshield T9 for the surfaces you can't cover...it also helps for those you can.

Try it, you'll be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS