Suggestions for Home & Kitchen

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Well ......... Looks Like my offer on the new home was accepted........ yay ! a cool thing about the home, the entire home except the roof framing is entirely redwood. The 2x4 wall framing the joisting the wall paneling, not sure but I think the floor ply is also redwood. Home is a 1250 sq ft living on a 1/2 acre 22 x 24 garage, split level with the lower level 1000 sq.ft. of basement. 92 inch ceiling height.
The plan is to add a 24 x 36 add in the back of the garage, since the garage can be a pass though. I may use a 20' shipping container for the west wall to allow for secure storage while making the add, then cut the side wall out to open up into the shop, leaving longer storage items in there and use the roof top of the container as the wood stock storage.

The kitchen will need updating, since I have about 500 bd feet of Mahogany and Sapele just laying around, I am thinking maybe to change out the counters to wood and resin the tops. If I go down this path, I'll pre-stain 1st with Baking Soda, then stain to to a color less red.

Now to questions at hand ......... anyone ever done one of these for their own home or a client ? and what are the potential issues to watch out for ? What resins are hard enough to hold up to home counter top abuse ?

Thanks !

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have 2 bathrooms with sapele and mahogany tops ( one each ) finished with about 10 coats of waterlox marine. No issues so far. If any repairs are needed it is easy to fix.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Well ......... Looks Like my offer on the new home was accepted........ yay ! a cool thing about the home, the entire home except the roof framing is entirely redwood. The 2x4 wall framing the joisting the wall paneling, not sure but I think the floor ply is also redwood. Home is a 1250 sq ft living on a 1/2 acre 22 x 24 garage, split level with the lower level 1000 sq.ft. of basement. 92 inch ceiling height.
The plan is to add a 24 x 36 add in the back of the garage, since the garage can be a pass though. I may use a 20' shipping container for the west wall to allow for secure storage while making the add, then cut the side wall out to open up into the shop, leaving longer storage items in there and use the roof top of the container as the wood stock storage.

The kitchen will need updating, since I have about 500 bd feet of Mahogany and Sapele just laying around, I am thinking maybe to change out the counters to wood and resin the tops. If I go down this path, I'll pre-stain 1st with Baking Soda, then stain to to a color less red.

Now to questions at hand ......... anyone ever done one of these for their own home or a client ? and what are the potential issues to watch out for ? What resins are hard enough to hold up to home counter top abuse ?

Thanks !
I have the kitchen and a bathroom of wood, covered with 3 coats of standard waterlox, the kitchen countertops are all mahogany

• Thanks

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the new home, Oka. Look forward to seeing pics of the new garage addition as you build it. Can we assume that will be your shop?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Congratulations on your new home purchase! Can't wait to see some pics of the new house and future shop.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Absolutely,This is the basic layout I am figuring right now. By doing it this way I can utilize the 500 sq ft of garage as over flow area if need be

Attachments

• Lot layout.jpg
    Lot layout.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 95

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
OKA, I recently did this island top for a customer , its sapele, 2 x 42 x 84. I topcoated it with 4 coats of Arm R Seal. If I were doing standard countertops, with a sink cutout, I would seal any end grain that could wick water with diluted Epoxy prior to topcoating. Also, if and when you have a cutout, make sure you radius any corners smoothly so your sealants (epoxy and topcoat) flow completely around, in other words, no sharp corners. Completely seal the entire part, top and bottom as well. This video by the wood whisperer (one of my favorite go to guys) has some good info in it. The Arm R seal is a dream to work with.I used the Satin finish on this top.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.JPG
    IMG_4089.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4090.JPG
    IMG_4090.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4091.JPG
    IMG_4091.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 91

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have cherry countertops finished in multiple coats of waterlox in 2 of our bathrooms. The one bathroom is the main half bath used by everyone (I have 4 kids under 8) and has seen a lot of use without any signs of the finish breaking down or need for renewal.

I ended up using waterlox for durability based on past projects and the ease of renewing finish when the time comes.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Thanks Guys for all this. Yeah I have used Arm R Seal before, actually never used Waterlox

BTW @chris_goris I made a work bench that kinda looks similar see attached, this was before I trimmed and set vises. Good heads up on the cutout for the sinks.

On the Islands,Granite is expensive and I have never been a big fan.

worktable.jpg
guys. BTW @chris_goris I made a work bench that kinda looks similar see attached, this was before I trimmed and set vises.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS