Suggestions for Bench Grinder/ Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boone Mtn Man

New User
Brad
I am realatively new to turning and while I have a couple of bench grinders, they do not allow for any sort of attachment to accomodate a Jig that will allow me to get the proper angles for sharpening my turning tools. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced sharpening grinder or a jig that I might attach to get proper angles. Thanks,

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The Wolverine, as Steve has already suggested, are probably about the most ideal tool rest choice for turners.

For non-turners (such as myself) the Veritas line offer an ideal replacement for the manufacturer's typically inadequate tool rests. They work great for grinding straight or angled surfaces (with the proper guide accessory), but not the fancier curved surfaces common in lathe tooling, which is where the Wolverine alternative really shines.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
This topic has been quite popular in the past with lots and lots of good information, links and videos. Suggest doing an advanced search and finding all of that information. This topics has also been extensively commented on at Sawmill Creek forum.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brad,
Third vote for the wolverine.
See a common set-up below - a little bit clearer than the picture in Steve's link;

125676.jpg

Notice as Ethan points out - like Veritas the oneway solution adds a tool rest to replace the "manufacturer's typically inadequate tool rests" plus the addition of the capability of a simple gouge grind.
Purchasing the
varigrind jig attachment allows you to do a "fingernail" grind...

I made my own, but I don't have any pictures of it to post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS