suggestions for a 3 1/8 inch hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Drake

New User
Lee
I am working on project which requires a 3 1/8 hole. I have a 3 1/8 inch forstner bit, but no drill press. Do have a 1/2 inch power drill that works so-so with the big hole drilling, but using a 1 1/2 forstner bit works better-just have to make more holes. Wondering if I should use a plunge router with a spiral up bit and forget the forstner bits

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
You don't say how deep you need to go, but hole saws are much easier to control at such diameters with a hand-held drill.

However, there is no sin in creating a template out of some scrap wood and going at it with a pattern bit or template bushing-guided spiral or mortising router bit.

Sonny Drake

New User
Lee
hole is to be 1.5 inches deep_the entire thickness of two glued together 3/4 oak boards. I have not seen 3 1/8 diameter holesaws_I think there is a 3 inch one and possibly larger such as 4" /???.
My half inch drill is an 18v battery one and I exhausted both battery packs before getting the hole finished-had to use the 1 1/2 inch forstner bit in my 3/8 inch electric drill, and then a round rasp to smooth the hole.

Thanks for your answer.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Home Depot has 3-1/8" hole saws. I saw some when I was there today.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I was going to say, as well, that I have in my very hands at this moment a 3-1/8" Milwaukee brand hole saw that I would bet came from HD. It had to come from either HD or Lowes because all my Rigid, Blu-Mol, Lenox and Milwaukee hole saws came from these two retailers over the years.

I'm glad you got your 3-1/8" hole taken care of, though.

I am surprised your drill had such trouble, sounds like your batteries are at, if not beyond, their end of life. Even my older 18V Ryobi 1/2" drill has handled much worse on a single charge. I've drilled holes with 2" Forstner bits into Purpleheart (*much* harder than Oak) and not drained a battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS