Suggestion on Hold Fasts

badger fan

Bruce
User
I am looking to buy my first hold fasts for a new bench I am building (pictures to come on the process). I have seen discussions on various suppliers and types on this site in the past. Could you direct me to a supplier of hold fasts that you have found and like. My bench top is 4 inches thick and there are cabinets below so the total distance from the top of the bench to the top of the cabinets below is 9 inches.

I also have to drill the holes and believe that they should be 3/4 of inch in diameter. I would be open to any suggestions on how you might have drilled your dog holes.

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions.
Bruce

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gramercy holdfast - Sold at Tools for Working Wood and if I remember correctly Lee Valley

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Black Bear Forge - a bit more expensive than Gramercy, but excellent holdfasts. He re-stocks his Etsy storefront regularly and only shows what he has in stock. The Phil Koontz leaf style is what I use, but he also offers a less expensive non-leaf style.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Gramercy holdfast. Had them for several years, they work great and will outlast me. But I'm sure there are other great brands out there. Just don't buy anything that costs $10 and is made of painted cast iron.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Grammercy from Tools for Working Wood, although with a 4 inch thick top you might need to hit it pretty hard to set it. I use Grammercy but my top is only 2 1/2 inches—works in square dog holes as well as round 3/4” round ones.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
+1 on Grammercy. AS to drilling, drill a block on a drill press to make sure the hole is square and use that to keep your drill perpendicular to the top. With four inches I would start the hole with a fostner bit to avoid tearout and finish with an auger bit.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on Grammercy. AS to drilling, drill a block on a drill press to make sure the hole is square and use that to keep your drill perpendicular to the top. With four inches I would start the hole with a fostner bit to avoid tearout and finish with an auger bit.
The guide block method works well. Another option is to use a plunge router with a 3/4" mortising bit (regular straight bits won't work since they have no cutter on the top). Obviously you can't make the entire hole that way, but it'll get it started, ensure the opening is clean and chatter free, and you can then drill the rest by hand.

If you're anal retentive like me you can make a router jig to ensure perfect spacing of the holes as well, as opposed to measuring and marking like a normal human being.

badger fan

Bruce
User
Thank you to everyone. As usual this site shows it worth and willingness to help with its experiences. Also thank you for the suggestions on drilling the holes. I have to admit that after all the work to get to this point, it is a bit daunting to think about making a mistake in the top. But none the less, since I am more like what Bas describes, it is mush ahead.
Thanks again.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Stay away from any that are cast, not forged. Most of the woodworking shops have some cheap cast ones in their inventory, and they have short enough shafts to work in your bench. Do not be tempted.. They will snap in half.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a hold fast made in India. The brand is Anati, and it's no. is A0146. Indian metal seem to be good stuff from my experience. It came from Highland in Atlanta. It is cast, but this thing has a trick. You don't pound it in a dog hole. It comes with a flange that inlets into your bench. The hole fast has notches that engage into the flange. Pressure is applied with a screw & pivoting arm. It's the best design Iv'e seen.
Hold fast310341-1d.jpg
Hold fast310341-1d.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
FWIW - I bought a pair of the cheap cast ones years ago before I knew they were no good.
Years later I'm still using them. They work great! Must be my good karma.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS