Stuck Hole Saw

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This afternoon I had to drill 4 - 2 1/2" holes into some 3/4" plywood. I grabbed a Lennox 2 1/2" hole saw and arbor. Successfully drilled the holes on my drill press and when finished, I tried removing the hole saw from its arbor and it was like it was welded to the arbor. I tried vice grips, channel locks and a 7/16" wrench and could not free up the hole saw from the arbor!!

I had a huh, huh moment and grabbed my impact driver and socket, set it in reverse, held on to the hole saw and with one tap of the drivers trigger the arbor gave in and was free!!!!

This is not the first time this happened to me, so I will need to remember this little trick in the future!

Just passing this along to others that may have been frustrated with this issue.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does the arbor have a pair of pins that go into the bit? I find these to be the most efficient in removing the bit as well as the plug. I like the impact idea, tough. Sometimes a rubber washer will stop them from binding too.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Does the arbor have a pair of pins that go into the bit? I find these to be the most efficient in removing the bit as well as the plug. I like the impact idea, tough. Sometimes a rubber washer will stop them from binding too.
Yes Dennis. The arbor I was using does have the pair of pins. I may try the rubber washer idea in the future.

Thanks for the tip!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The pins should be used to lock the cutter on by locking them in just prior to the arbor face and the cutter threads making contact.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The pins should be used to lock the cutter on by locking them in just prior to the arbor face and the cutter threads making contact.
You are absolutely correct Dennis. My bad. I didn't pay attention to seating the pins using this arbor.

The other arbor I use for smaller cutters doesn't have pins hence the same potential issue.

Thanks again.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The newer arbors have a simple click in place lock for the pins and are much easier to seat.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those of you not familiar with hole saw arbors,the pins I refer to are actually the drive mechanism for the hole saw, being seated in a hole in the saw itself rather than relying on thread interference to do the work, making changing bits fast and efficient.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS