Stripped Canoe

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have been working on my latest project since early January. I recall taking to Phil (Phil S) about building a stripped canoe and he commented that "it is a lot of work and takes a long time". I didn't appreciate the accuracy of his comment at the time, but I do now! While it is an involved and time consuming project, it has proven to be enjoyable. I ordered plans last fall for the 15 ft Freedom and started the build in early January. The first few weeks were devoted to building the strong-back, cutting the station forms, as well as steaming and bending the stems for the bow and stern. This was followed by cutting and milling Spanish Cedar into 0.75 x 0.25 inch strips, which are then are milled with a flute and cove on either side. With milled strips in hand, the process of applying strips to the frames begins.

17F9016E-46DF-4BBA-BA05-46E20919C46A.jpeg
397CD33F-B7ED-48FE-9099-C48CF803B56D.jpeg
F149B65E-2DB6-44A0-B9DE-2FCC3B74BDE5.jpeg

1A3DA91E-5F23-4263-BBE0-791DFE6F3FE8.jpeg
7C9AD51B-51C8-43B5-B8C2-DF26FB07F8D2.jpeg
71D322CF-9D80-4713-A171-311BC24C15FE.jpeg

The next step will be fiberglassing! I forgot to mention that the lighter strips are ash and my attempt at a decorative feature strip is purpleheart.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is REALLY nice - can't wait to see it finished!

Reactions: drw

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me know if you want some help with the glass
Beautiful work

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Awesome job. Have this on the bucket list someday. My current shop is too small to assemble a canoe.

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
That is amazing! I have always thought strips and glass was a neat way to build a beautiful boat.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see you used the staple-free stripping method, a bit slower but the lack of staple holes sure makes a clean hull

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Very nice............. looks like a professional woodworker did this ........... :p

A lot of work there can't wait to see it done !

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Let me know if you want some help with the glass
Beautiful work
Phil, thank you. I am going to take a week or so to work on some other projects, but I may take you up on your kind offer. I am thinking of asking another friend to assist in mixing the epoxy so that the two of us could focus on applying the mixture to the fiberglass. As you know, the first application goes on with a plastic spreader and is the most challenging; the other two coats can be applied with foam rollers. If you could help with the first coat, I think I can handle the rest.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, thank you. I am going to take a week or so to work on some other projects, but I may take you up on your kind offer. I am thinking of asking another friend to assist in mixing the epoxy so that the two of us could focus on applying the mixture to the fiberglass. As you know, the first application goes on with a plastic spreader and is the most challenging; the other two coats can be applied with foam rollers. If you could help with the first coat, I think I can handle the rest.
What make of epoxy are you planning to use and what weight of cloth?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS