Stressed out red oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I was ripping a red oak board last weekend and it "peeled" apart. :cry: I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? I also wanted to know if you thought that I could joint the boards and still use them in panels? I ripped four other boards that did fine. The individual boards are about 3" wide. The panels will be 12" wide by 25" long. The moisture content of the wood was 9%. I am going to try to attach a picture of the board after I cut it.

Attachments

• stress.jpg
    stress.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 156

Monty

New User
Monty
Should turn out just fine. I would cross cut those long boards to near-final length before edge jointing them. That way you will minimize the amount of waste you will have to remove to acheive a straight edge. Hope that makes sense. Why were you ripping it? To fit on your jointer?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, that's case hardening. Where the outside is dryer than the inside. Now that you have released the beast you should be allright to joint and plane as normal. As Monty said cut the stock down to final length plus a little, and proceed as normal.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

had a sweet gum board do that to me once - I really thought the board was going to beat the table saw. Picked up the board and said "you a little afraid of bing ripped, you chicken ?" Was funny cause the board couldn't talk back.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the quick replies! I was ripping the boards because the final panels are about 11" wide and I thought that 3" to 4" wide boards would make a nice looking panel. I like to use boards 3-6" wide for raised panel doors. Also this wood is "au natural". This is from a red oak tree that we had sawed up about four years ago. While it is nice lumber, it is not exactly FAS quality.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
When you start talking to your wood, we have another problem here8-O Not case hardening, but a head-case :icon_scra :icon_scra

Dave:)

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
What the other guys said, it should mill out fine. And what's wrong with talking to your wood? Its smarter than some of the people I run into every day!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
What's wrong with you guys... talking to your wood... geez... when you talk to the wood, the tools start to get jealous. Talk to the tools first.

Hey Amy, I had a friend come by the shop a few months ago to get some time on my planer. I seem to remember that he had a couple of pieces of cherry. The more I planed that stuff, the worse it got. All I could manage to do was release more pent up twisting and cupping as I took wood off. WAsn't much I could do taht time as the boards were already close to final demention.

Ray

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Yup wood can be funny some times, I keep it in the shop for a couple weeks before i mill it if I time permits and then over cut my dimensions a bit in case it decides to have a mind of is own.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
From the look of the photo the board is flatsawn and probably from a small tree. The split is a result of tension within the tree. Wider boards when green sawn and then DH kiln dried don't always exhibit this defect immediately. Even air dried wood when dried in a large stack will hold together well and then when ripped or planed go crazy.

Case hardening is seperate and is when the core is wetter than the exterior and is a common defect in Oak when the kiln operator doesn't properly equalize the load after kiln drying. You can tell case hardened wood when you cross cut it on a table saw and it pinches or bogs down the blade. The interior and exterior portion of the board will have a moisture gradient instead of a consistent MC%

the boards will still be usable but I would cut a tad fat to size and acclimate to the environment they are going to be used to work out any additional movement.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Oh your not supposed to talk to the wood????:rolf:

There is a Smother's Brother's skit in which one is telling a story about talking to the trees, and the other starts talking to the floor, his bass violin, and anything else wooden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS