Stratus Dust Cleaner

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Folks, I have come across this air cleaner. Looked up their web page, and it looks like something I may buy. Does anyone out there have one or been exposed to one in another shop? If so tell me what you think.

PopSTRATUS $500.jpg

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Air cleaners are great for cleaning the air as long as you can hold your breath for ~10 minutes.:) Put your money into capturing the dust at the source with a dust collection system and you don't need this.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I try to capture the dust at the source as Tarhead suggests, but that is a never-ending challenge, especially on the lathe when doing long spindle work., or if sanding on a big build. There are many more examples where this becomes a challenge. They say no matter how hard you try, when you fry fish you will always get the smell. :)

If the OP were me, I would just buy a big blower, possibly used on ebay or auction, build a wooden box around it and put a good Hepa filter in front. It would be a fraction of the price and probably multiple more air changes per hour. To insulate that for noise is also pretty easy and inexpensive.

This is what I do:

I had AC installed in my shop (heating/cooling) and I put a number of the biggest (30 x 20 x 1) filters in for the air handling unit. I use the finest particle filters available and make sure I run the AC fan when I am making dust. If I am cleaning shop I blow the dust out the doors with a blower and in addition to the AC would run my dust collector with all the collection points fully open. Cleaning the AC filters with a shop-vac takes a few minutes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS