??? straight or twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman

New User
barry
hey guys which is better for plowing groves with a router a straight bit or a spiral up cut already have my beginning and ending pilot holes looking for the smoothest sides this is in MDF (i would think the spiral )

barry

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Barry,

This is another topic that can bring about some discussion. An up spiral pulls debris out of the groove more easily and makes for clean cuts with less chance of heating up / burning. The surface, however is unsupported so you could have some tear-out or chipping. Eliminating that tear-out is the purpose of a down spiral.

You could score the edges of the groove or dado and that would probably eliminate the tear-out.

Ray

Nativespec

New User
David
I use a spiral down cut. The down cut prevents damage to the surface since it is pulling down on the fibers. Up cut bits are for slots that will show on your surface (pulls the fibers up as it cuts). Straight bits are for the recycling bin.

David

bman

New User
barry
in this case i will be cutting from the bottom to the top MDF core to a laminate top
and David..... love that "straight bits belong in the recycle bin":rotflm:
the exit point on the top is the most important so i guess i need to stick with the up cut

DavidF

New User
David
If the mortise is deep then an upspiral might reduce heat and clogging, but will leave a nasty top edge, not a problem for a mortise and tenon with a shoulder, but no good for an exposed top groove. In MDF, with a shallow groove it probably doesn't matter too much either way; straight or down spiral, but not an up cut bit. Generally I am changing to spiral bits because of the lower tendancy to pull out the grain while template cutting curves especially in end grain - bottom line, if you're going to buy a new bit for this job then make it a down cut.

DavidF

New User
David
in this case i will be cutting from the bottom to the top MDF core to a laminate top
and David..... love that "straight bits belong in the recycle bin":rotflm:
the exit point on the top is the most important so i guess i need to stick with the up cut

Ah, if you're cutting all they way through from the bottom to the top then yes, an upcut is the way to go.

bman

New User
barry
down cut it will be ...... what about a compression bit anyone every use one of those?????

bman

New User
barry
:gar-Crwell is't going to be a straight bit the Ral woodcraft didnt have either up or down they say the down cut arent very popular :icon_scra didn't want a HSS bit (allready burned one of those up ) MDF is tough on HSS bits :eusa_doh:should order on line last sunday .....so i have add another 2 WS bits to the collection got the shaker bit too @15 $ off can't beat that plus getting 3 bearings ..... all in all a good day ..ready for the weekend

Barry

DavidF

New User
David
If you are buying bits I would highly recommend MLCS. Good quality, quick delivery AND FREE SHIPPING!

Nativespec

New User
David
I find the downcut more popular in my work. I have both the MCLS and CMT-I got the CMT from Amazon for about 1/2 of what Woodcraft sells them for.

David

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
i've actually always had good results with a regular old straight bit when cutting MDF actually MDF is one of the few times i feel i don't need a spiral bit and one of the only times i think a straight bit works really well... in my opinion i would think that a straight bit would suffice and use a spiral bit for a wood that would give more trouble for a straight bit... that's just my opinion though

bman

New User
barry
Johnny i would agree ...i think a lot depend on the quality of bit ...... mine are ebay specials carbide but cheep i have had them about 3yrs now use um twice maybe 3 times and toss them been replacing with the CMT and W\S BIG!!!!! Difference i got a down cut CMT on the way from amazon

Barry

M

McRabbet

Two years ago, I broke a 3/8" x 1-1/4" x 3" downcut solid carbide CMT spiral bit while cutting 1" deep mortises for some porch railings in PT SYP (I hit a knot) and the company (Sommerfield Tools) replaced it without any hassles -- they are superb bits and guaranteed not to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS