Stop the Bleed

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I took this class last night from my firearms instructor and thought it might be something woodworkers would be interested in. Main reason I took it is I drive between WS and Gboro everyday and never know when I might need it.

We work with very sharp objects and one slip up can be disastrous. I learned how to stop bleeding, pack a wound and to use a tourniquet. You will also gain access to at cost, authentic supplies. I was shocked to learn alot of the stuff on Amazon is fake.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
He was referring to the tourniquets. Alot of people who are issued them for their jobs have fake ones not even realizing it. I don't recall what to look for as I plan to order some through him but I'll ask.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Tourniquets should be FDA approved. You need to ask his recommended folks if their tourniquets are FDA approved.

Why would you need a tourniquet for driving between WS and Greensboro? The Paramedics/EMS staff will have them if needed.

If someone has a major bleed due to a car accident, they can and will most likely die before the paremedics get there. I learned how to pack and put pressure on a wound until help arrives. Use of a tourniquet is just something else the class taught me to use. Since I am putting together a mini kit to have in my car, I might as well add a tourniquet.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
When I was going through EMT school I found a very interesting fact. Nature has a way to help not bleed out. If the cut is clean and not torn the blood vessels pull back into the wound to restrict the blood out flow. The body is an amazing thing.

Pop

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Steve, When putting your bag together remember to include a blood pressure cuff & stethoscope. Sometimes it's a heart attack and those gadgets are a great help.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
The class didn't go over how to use those 2 items or what to use them for. There is a more advanced class that might take which I am considering. Sadly there was a teacher there taking it on their own dime, schools don't provide this kind of training or provide supplies and her school nurse is only on site 3 days a week.

Steve, When putting your bag together remember to include a blood pressure cuff & stethoscope. Sometimes it's a heart attack and those gadgets are a great help.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
The instructor referenced this as a use case for a tourniquet but more along the lines of if someone is dehydrated causing the vessel to retract.

When I was going through EMT school I found a very interesting fact. Nature has a way to help not bleed out. If the cut is clean and not torn the blood vessels pull back into the wound to restrict the blood out flow. The body is an amazing thing.

Pop

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Among the things I've done in my working years, I was a firefighter/paramedic working for the county EMS and our volunteer fire department. When you have a bleed, using something, hopefully clean, apply pressure to the wound and hold it there until ER personnel can take over. If the wound is a limb, elevating the limb also helps greatly. A tourniquet is only for extreme bleeds or amputations. Tourniquets need to be applied judiciously as the limb could be lost depending on how long it remains on the limb. Do not use the tourniquet if the bleed can be controlled by pressure applied to the wound and elevating the limb.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i put a tourniquet on my thumb with some cord i had in the garage when i cut my thumb. allowed me to stop the bleeding and get tools cleaned up before heading to the hospital.

i've found first aid training if nothing else provides you with information to remain calm when something goes down and instinct kinda takes over. it was simply instinct to put one on my thumb because i'd had first aid training throughout my youth and in my first job on the emergency response team.

looking back i guess if i'd never had that sort of training that afternoon could have been a lot worse.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
looking back i guess if i'd never had that sort of training that afternoon could have been a lot worse.

The Boy Scouts first aid merit badge is helpful but not comprehensive.

1. Do the following:
    1. Show the steps that need to be taken for someone who has a large open wound or cut that is not bleeding severely.
    2. Show the steps that need to be taken for someone who has a large open wound or cut that is severely bleeding.
    3. Tell the dangers in the use of a tourniquet and the conditions under which its use is justified.

Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
The Boy Scouts first aid merit badge is helpful but not comprehensive.

i find that statement to be true for a lot of scouting. i didn't grow up in it but i'm glad my son was involved in his earlier years.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
We were told a tourniquet can be safetly left on for about 2 hrs. Most of us in the class are just hoping to keep someone around until real help arrives and can get them to the hospital, well below that 2 hr mark.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS