stop posting pics of pens and bowls please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
You people keep posting pics of bowls and pens and everytime I look I think I would love to do those.

So I know you will all stop so I dont have to go buy a Lathe.

:rotflm:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Actually a lathe can be quite handy and save a lot of money. Just this morning I repaired my Stihl brush cutter. The pistol grip arm broke, it is a 3/4 inch aluminum tube - handlebar arrangement. A new one cost $$money$$ and would take a week to get here.

So, I made a maple insert slightly tapered to slide easily on each end and very tight at the break point. Clamped it all back together and I'm back in business.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ummmm..... OK!!!!
some_pens.JPG

rw_oak_box.JPG

there... I've dome my part!:rotflm:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
As heard by Christopher Columbus: The wood is flat! If you go beyond the end of the board, you will fall off the world of woodworking.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey if you need a new handle for a tack hammer....get a lathe -

Tac_hammer_and_Malibu_015.jpg

It's also very handy if you're running to visit a buddy and need a gift....give him a bowl out of wood he harvested -

Copy_of_Malibu_and_the_Dark_Side_007.jpg

And if there is a wedding coming up and you don't know what to give....how about a guest book pen they will enjoy for a long time -
Copy_of_Pens_428.jpg

Of course have in engraved....and remember to take a picture of it after the engraving :eusa_doh::BangHead:

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
No worries, Jon. Using a lathe is hard and takes a lot of skill. I expect it's outside the realm of your abilities, so it would be a disaster for you anyhow. (yes...that's meant to be a challenge :) )

Chris

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Jon! Don't "bite!" :no: The Dark Siders are trying to lure you! :elvis:Resist! Go make something with flat sides and nice joints.

You gotta be strong for the rest of us "flat-boarders!"

:wink_smil

cskipper

Cathy
Now, now. there's nothing to be worried about (read with the tone of "come into my parlor said the spider to the fly") - lol!

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Jon! Don't "bite!" :no: The Dark Siders are trying to lure you! :elvis:Resist! Go make something with flat sides and nice joints.

You gotta be strong for the rest of us "flat-boarders!"

:wink_smil

...just because you have a lathe doesn't mean that you have to give up flatwork. I guarantee that you will start making boxes again after having the lathe for 2-3 years...it's just that, you'll return to making boxes so you can turn a knob or something for the lid :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Do what I did - make sure your shop is so chuck full of stuff there is no room for a lathe. This way, I can pretend I _might_ actually be good at turning, without the investment, shavings all over the place and disillusionment :)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do what I did - make sure your shop is so chuck full of stuff there is no room for a lathe. This way, I can pretend I _might_ actually be good at turning, without the investment, shavings all over the place and disillusionment :)

If you stop messing up so the LOYL does not make you sleep in the work shop all the time :gar-La;, you can get rid of that couch in your workshop. That spot would a nice full size lathe. Just Do IT!!!

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
You could always come up with a project that requires flat stuff and round stuff, so you have to have a lathe to complete it.... a real fancy chessboard with turned pieces would be a nice start. Or you could start with pens and make display boxes to go with it. The possibilities are endless, and yes, it is a slippery slope down the path to the dark side, but you'll enjoy it. No pressure here.....:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS