Stock Size for Picnic Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'm planning on building the Trestle Picnic Table from Plans Now for the wife this summer. I was looking for something with moveable benches that was scaled down a bit for our smaller deck (this is 34x72). This fit the bill and my wife likes the look so I think we're a go.

I'll be using natural cedar and the plans call for standard 2X stock. I want the table to be sturdy (I'm not a small person) but 2X seems like overkill and probably used due to it's easy availability at BORGs. I'd like to save some money and support a fellow NCWWer who has an inventory of 5/4 cedar if possible. I can't post the plans as they're under copywrite but I've attached a stock photo (some one they have on their site) of the table. Do you think I can use 5/4 in place of the 2X w/o making any other structural changes and still end up with a sturdy table?

If you can't tell from the photo and have questions about the details (dimensions, spans, etc) just tell me what you need to know.

Thanks!!

Travis

Picnic_Table.jpg

View image in gallery

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
You could get 5/4" stock and face glue some of it together for the legs. That just seems like a lot of weight to be resting on 5/4" legs. Or, if someone has some 5/4 and some 8/4, you could just grab some of the 8/4 and use that for the legs and 5/4 for everything else. :eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would go with 2X stock not so much for strength but the proper proportion of mass. You can do much better than getting Cedar lumber at the BORGS. Local sawyers are the best, but you will probably want to work with Western Red Cedar over our Eastern for the lumber clarity. Good sources for WRC are WCS, Crapital City Lumber, Brooks Building Products and even Stock Building Supply.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Trav, from experience, make your bench tops out of at least inch and a half stuff. :icon_thum Anything less is gonna sag. 5/4 if fine for tops and even legs. Good luck, Pard. :wsmile:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for all the input guys, guess I'll stick with 2X stock. I'd already checked prices at the Hardwood Store, I appreciate the other suggestions Dave!

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS