Stock repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Sometime back I posted a thread called "Strong wood filler" in reference to a shotgun stock that had a hunk out of the butstock where it meets the reciever.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/strong-wood-filler-14950/?highlight=strong+wood+filler

In the end, I took Mike's advice and, rather than try to fill the void, I cut and fitted another small piece in it's place.
Cutting the wood gave me a flat surface along the bottom of the void, plus a 90' shoulder for the new piece to butt against during recoil. Additionally, I drilled the flat area of the stock and the replacement piece with two small holes. This allowed me to fit the repair piece into place via two little steel pins, with the whole affair being epoxied into place. After drying, it was a bit of a chore to fit the piece and shape it to match the reciever, but not too bad all in all.
This is now my #1 house gun, a role that seems to suit it perfectly.

DSCF0043.jpg

If you look closely you can see the seam of the repair running lengthwise, and the 90' cut shows up more easily where it turns up toward the tang.

DSCF0042.jpg

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Great repair job, Tom!

Are you saying you chiseled out the void to "square" it up so you could then put a "square" replacement piece in the void?

I have a similar situation on a very old but prized shotgun that deserves a nice fix such as this.

Thanks for posting:icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice repair. Almost invisible.

"This is now my #1 house gun, a role that seems to suit it perfectly."

Should serve you well next time you go "house hunting" :gar-La;

Go

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Are you saying you chiseled out the void to "square" it up so you could then put a "square" replacement piece in the void?

Yes. A fine tooth saw made the verticle cut at the rear of the repair, and I used a chisel to flatten the bottom of the repair, and to give me a flat surface to drill for the pins(just little pieces of a 6d finish nail clipped off).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS