Stock for a totem pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am in the Y-Guides program with my kids. Second year tribes make a totem pole. As the only dad in the group with much in the way of tools I am leading up the charge :).

We have ~12 members in our tribe. Each of us will get a segment to take home and decorate. I was thinking 8" wide by ~6" tall would work. I would drill a hole through the center of each and assemble it in the end with threaded rod. If made out of solid wood it will be quite heavy, expensive and the stock may be hard to come by from typical sources (lumber mill, hardwood store etc).

But I was thinking about trying to find someone who has taken down a tree recently. Some white wood (maple, poplar?) 10-12" in diameter I think would work. It would be turned through the pith and being green it may get some cracks but I figure that would help with character :).

So any suggestions on where I can find stock for a project like this?
Thanks!
Salem

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I would keep an eye on CL, there are always wood ads in the free section. If you drill out the pith with a forstner bit, you might end minimize cracking.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
One of the members of Triangle Wood Workers made a full size totem pole for a client a few years back. You used a cypress log from Bladen County (Elizabethtown / White Lake.)

CatButler

New User
Bryan
In the past, we have made one out of a 6x6 cedar or maybe it was redwood fence post. We had 7 people and with a 4ft post. Drilled holes through the center. Other cool things I saw. Some one made cubes out of plywood and drilled holes for LightBright pegs and put a light bulb inside.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ohh.... lightbright pegs. That is cool :). I would only be afraid about the heat generated by a conventional bulb. Cool ideas though.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Scott, that sounds great! Any excuse I have to come out to your farm works :). I will give you a call.
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS