Stile & Rail Router Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc4digital

New User
Update your profile with your name
My better 1/2 is letting me spend some money. :eusa_danc

Anyway, I need to purchase a Stile & Rail Set. Appears to be many different patterns, Round, Ogee, Bead, Traditional, Classical, Straight, etc.

What Pattern do you like?

What Brand do you prefer?{not trying to create a manufacturing war}

Any other suggestion that might help me in my desion?
I am using a Milwaukee 5625 and Woodpecker RouterTable and Lift.

Thanks for the great feedback. :)

Chuck

gator

George
Corporate Member
Re: Stile & Rail Rounter Bits

I will soon be starting a project for which I will have the same questions. I will be watching with interest to the replies here.

George

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

I have a set from Woodline (www.woodline.com). For the $100 I dropped on them, I'd say they are well worth it. As for the pattern, I have no opinions. Depends on the look you want.

nelsone

New User
Ed

I have the cheapo set from HF. Not much to brag about, but they seem to work fine. Have a ogee profile.

cc4digital

New User

This is a stupid quesiton that I should know the answer. What does the backcutters do?

Raise or Sink the center panel?:BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

The backcutter allows the panel to sit more flush with the surface of the R & S...so I guess "sink" would be the answer.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I have a set that is a basic round over (is that traditional?), and an ogee set. I would say I use the round over set more than the other.

My first set was a Bosch, and I was not happy with the fit on it. You could shim it, but it was a PITA. Since then, I have both Freud and CMT, and I can say I am quite happy with both of them. I would not buy a set where you have to reverse the cutters around.

cc4digital

New User

yep, thanks for the answer. Not sure why I couldn't figure that out. I think I am going to go back and play with my building blocks now.:eusa_doh:

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member

I got mine from EAGLE AMERICA. Lots of AMERICAN-MADE router bits.

jglord

New User
John
Two points to add here:
1. Freud is the only brand to have the grove for the panel set to 15/64" - the others (Woodcraft, Whiteside & CMT) all use 1/4". This is important if you ever plan to use 1/4" plywood to build flat panel doors. The size of the back-cut can easily be adjusted for this size when building raised-panel doors but also accommodates flat panel.

2. I find I get the best results when raising a panel by cutting the panel profile in 2 or 3 passes. If you have a panel raiser with a built in back-cutter, it is very difficult to do anything but one pass. It is an awful lot of wood to remove in 1 pass. You could approach this by adjusting the fence to take the full profile by adjusting the cut horizontally. My preference is to make the back-cut either with a separate back cutter or use an adjustable rabbiting bit set-up for a 1/2" cut.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Go with any of the Freud stile and rail sets, you will be extremely happy. The one I have is 97-106 that includes the raised panel cutter with back cutter. Just completed a queen size bed with 4 raised panels on headboard and foot board plus two matching end tables with raised panels to match. Raised panels were cut in a RT w/ a 2 1/4 hp Milwaukee router.
Will post pictures as soon as the finish coat is done.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Been using a Frued raised panel set myself on a Hitachi 3.5 variable speed router, collet extension and a Unilift from WoodPeck.com

I used it one time on some pine to cut some setup blocks and have never looked back. Nothing but Oak and Maple since then with no problems of burning or getting dull early. Someone mentioned earlier that having to flip cutters is a not the way to go; I have to agree. Spend your time making something beautiful, not setting up over and over again.

Before using any panel bits, turn down the speed or you may loose a bit, collet or something more serious.

MarkW

New User
Mark
I have the Sommerfield CMT set in the Ogee version. It's a good set and the profile suits the style in my house.

This is one set I would not skimp on quality though (if you can afford it). This set at my shop gets used alot.

rhett

New User
rhett
Just remember to cut the coped ends of your rails first. It will aid in setting up the stiles. The R&S design is yours (meaning your wife's) decision:-D. You can make shaker style doors with just your table saw though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS