Stiffening Long Span of Plywood

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Dennis has given really good suggestions. A hollow core door will weigh less than a piece of 3/4 plywood. It is not very hard to remove the plywood skin from a piece cut off so you can glue it with construction adhesive back into the remaining piece of door - I have done it. Or you could make a piece for the edge from scrap. The advantages of this approach are weight, stiffness, and cost. Should look decent too. If all your source has are pre-drilled ones you could get a wider door to get a clear piece wide enough.

I think that will work without further stiffening but, if not, a leg of 3/4 inch wood between the machines should make it plenty stiff for clothes folding. It wouldn't even have to be fastened, just cut to length and resting between the machines.

If you really want to get scientific you can calculate the deflection of various alternatives, the equations are available on-line. Experience says a cheap interior door best fits your criteria, however.
It shouldn't be hard to find a used 24" x 80" hollow core flush door 'slab' (not machined) at a ReStore or salvage store. Even Masonite wold work. The rails and styles are usually ~3/4" thick and a 24" door should be about the right width. If it's machined already just get a wider one. Cut the door with a straightedge and glue a piece of 3/4" pine back into the end and Bob's your uncle.....

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Whatever you do, you could also hinge it to lift up rather than remove it. Assuming your side walls don't 'sag' in.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whatever you do, you could also hinge it to lift up rather than remove it. Assuming your side walls don't 'sag' in.
The suggestion I would have is this: I assume you have a front loading washer/dryer combo with front controls, so access to the rear of the machine is not needed unless changing machines or a hose bursts. In that case, I would drill 1/4" locator holes in the wall cleats and use an appropriate length smaller screw to register into the hole to prevent it sliding out. You could lift the shelf off quickly if an emergency arises and it would still be stable.
JMTCW

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS