Stickley Settle leg height...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
settle.jpg
So I'm getting ready to start my Morris chair/ Settle build. Something along the lines of this example.

Question...I don't have a plan and need a rough idea of the height/length of the legs. I AM NOT ASKING FOR A PLAN.

walnut2.jpg

I picked up another 32 bd/ft of 8/4 walnut today.

John Baker is cutting me some quartersawn walnut 3x3 leg blanks for the chairs and settle. Got reasonable dimensions for the chairs but no clue as to length for the settle.

Ideas?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Chris,

I built one out of QSWO and it was based on 3 sets of plans that I combined into my design. Not sure why you don't want to consult plans for ideas, but that is fine. I can measure whatever you want measured. There are also pictures and details in my gallery and posts here if you want to search for them.

Mine had narrow spindles instead of the slats you picture, but is basically the same sort of deal.

I'll have more time later to do that but it is getting late tonight and I have a busy day tomorrow.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Hey Chris,

Not sure why you don't want to consult plans for ideas, but that is fine.

Thanks Ken.

I guess I should clarify...I don't want any copyrighted plans.

I have the Woodsmith plans for the chairs...I've been modifying that to suit me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The only example I could find similar to your picture was in H.H. Windsor's book Mission Furniture How to Make It. This is a reprint of books originally printed around 1910. His example shows the leg heights at 36". You're not going to be using the sides as arms rests, that's for sure.

Roy G

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Pictures I have seen of examples out "in the wild" look really low. 36 could be the magic number.

walnut3.jpg

First pieces planed this am.....I think it's going to be a good looking chair.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Talked with the sawyer this am....he's cutting the legs at 40 inches (3x3). That should give me plenty to work with...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've never encountered a copyrighted plan. ???

By default all works are "copyrighted"...you don't have to register or apply for anything for it to attach. It happens automatically at creation.

Copyright is not the actual issue, the type of license is the real factor. My issue is with plans created for sale. If a plan has an "open" license (the Woodsmith Morris chair plans PDF for example), I'll gladly use it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Generally speaking there really is no hard and fast standard seat height on chairs... as pointed out here they range from approx 29" to approx 34" the lower end is good for short people and the upper end good for tall people. Find a measurement in that range that works best for who will be sitting on it most and run with it. Remember to factor in the cushion height too.

You mentioned sawyer is cutting you 3x3s is that green fresh wood right off the log?

With that design if you build it a little tall you could always take a skillsaw and trim the legs later should the seat be to high. Presonally I think seat of 36"is high is too high myself.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'll find you and prosecute for infringement. That's a needle in a haystack imo.

True...but not why I don't do it. I feel bad taking the IP of someone who has worked hard to produce it without remuneration.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK, I just went upstairs and measured the legs on my settle. The leg is a total 28" tall with a 1" thick board on top for a total height to the armrest of 29". The length to the bottom of the cushion is 12" and the cushion is 6" thick hard foam so the height of the top of the cushion is 18" There are plenty of pictures of it in my gallery.

BTW, I bought 3 separate plans before I started building and used ideas from mostly 2 of them. One set was from New Yankee Workshop, one from Fine Woodworking and the other I think was from Wood Plans. That last one might have come from Woodcraft, I don't completely remember.

Here's a couple of the pictures from the gallery. First the bones.

DSC_0267_800x532_.jpg

With cushions.

DSC_0307_800x532_.jpg

There are only 2 screws in the whole piece. They are holding up the piece of Ash in the middle of the seat that those woven panels are sitting on. Everything else is glued Mortise and Tenon.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Perfect..Thanks Ken. I actually showed my wife pics of your settle last night. She likes it better than the one I had planned. I may "borrow" some inspiration from yours....

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Feel free to do so. I'm very pleased with the way it came out. We found the leather hides at the Flea Market at the Fairgrounds here. We used 2 and a half matched hides for the cushions. Had a professional upholsterer do the cushions and they came out very nice. The Fine Woodworking video (think it is premium content) shows how to make your own leather cushions but we decided to have it done. Wasn't cheap but was worth it.

This was definitely the most ambitious project I've undertaken to date.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
You mentioned sawyer is cutting you 3x3s is that green fresh wood right off the log?

No...all has been drying for 8 years (per John). He has a stack of cants from 5 to 9 foot long....all roughly 6x6. He's cutting the legs out of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS