Sticker Stain in Oak

drchristian

New User
David
Bought some Oak from a local sawyer that air dried it and after jointing one side it appears the drying sticks have deeply stained the oak see photos. I have not experienced this before, will it plane out or is just going to add to the character of the dining room table? May Be some bleach and sun? what you think?

Attachments

• 4F21DF84-4ED3-4CEB-8853-DC35BC4BA984.jpeg
    4F21DF84-4ED3-4CEB-8853-DC35BC4BA984.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 220
  • A9BEA3B5-8BE8-4A03-ABA8-84728F875D34.jpeg
    A9BEA3B5-8BE8-4A03-ABA8-84728F875D34.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 204
  • 48111937-BD53-46C5-9482-5C356976B95B.jpeg
    48111937-BD53-46C5-9482-5C356976B95B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 213

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bought some Oak from a local sawyer that air dried it and after jointing one side it appears the drying sticks have deeply stained the oak see photos. I have not experienced this before, will it plane out or is just going to add to the character of the dining room table? May Be some bleach and sun? what you think?
Since nobody else replied...usually sticker stains will plane out. It all depends on how deep the stains go, and whether the board is a fat 4/4 or skinny 4/4. Looking at the photos you provided, I think some of the stain will remain. But, the wood will usually darken once exposed to the air, which should even things out a bit. And as you said, it's character/ rustic charm :) Oxaclic acid may work better than bleach if you want to go the chemical route.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Or see if you can get some oyaclic acid. THis is what is in the deck wash as a prime ingredient. Take a small piece and test the strength to see how dilute you want to get the best results. Otherwise it can cause the wood to go white.

lostwarden

New User
Ben
I was involved in a project planing about 15,000 brd ft of sapele once. The stuff was 8/4 sapele , and it had real bad sticker stain, planed it to 1.5, most of it still had sticker stain.

Hopefully once you get to your desired thickness it will be gone.

While it's a thought, you might be able to try some hydrogen peroxide on the sticker stain. Food grade would be better but you generally can't find it in most stores.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good morning all. Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is available in 27% strength from your local swimming pool supplier under the "Baquacil" label. You want the Oxidizer. On-line sources show 4 gallons for $89.94.

Do be careful.

Rick

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You might also just try fuming the boards with Ammonia. It will darken them and may make the stains less visible if not invisible. If you do this, use a full face respirator with the appropriate chemical filters.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS