Steve, this bench laugh is for you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Steve PM'ed me about his new DVR and made me feel jealous and then had the nerve to ask to see pictures of my bench. I told him I would be embarrassed to show him pictures of this bench as I just cobbled it together to be functional rather than pretty.

After consideration I decided that all of the NCWW family needed a good laugh so I will post some pictures of my bench.

Steve, there are two really important considerations about a lathe bench. They are weight and more weight.... and then some more weight. After that you can add some more weight. In other words mass is the key to turning. Also, the fact that you have been on a diet is detrimental to good wood turning. All good wood turners need a properly developed turning muscle (big ole fat belly) that you can rest on the lathe bed while turning to help provide stability and more mass.

Seriously, the two most important considerations are mass and height. You want the lathe center to be at a comfortable height so that you don't tire as easy while standing there for a long period of time. If you are hunched over while turning you will get tired and end up with a sore back.

As I said in my PM this bench is essentially made from construction grade lumber and plywood. I laminated flat 2X material face to face and then edge jointed them. I then joined pairs of this stock to form my legs. I lap joined a frame work of 2X6's to form a box at the bottom in which I store bags of sand and barbell plates. The lid is a convenient place to store accessories. Another framework of 2X's at the top provides stability under the top which is 4 layers of 3/4" plywood glued together and edged in oak for durability.

The only thing I would do differently is place the lathe on pads so it was easier to clean under the ways but unfortunately I did not take that into account when I set the height of the bench and when I put pads under the bed I found it was uncomfortably high. It seems unlikely that 3/4" would make that much difference but it did for me.

As I said weight is the key to stability and lack of vibration. You may notice in the pictures that I have barbell weights hanging on the ends. I just don't have enough of a turning muscle yet to properly hold down my lathe bench.....:rolf:

If you believe that I have some land for sale just east of Buxton....

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Mike,

You're a h#&@ of a "cobbler". Nice bench...loooks real sturdy and a good profile.

Dan C.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mike, nothing wrong with that bench:icon_thum And most important, it has given some ideas on how I might want to mine.

Here is a related question. I would like mine to have drawers that are deeper than your bench is. What would be the potential problems I might encounter, if I make the bench deeper than yours.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
No, problems at all. It actually might make the bench slightly more stable. If I had it to do over again I would widen the leg on the headstock end to increase the stability when turning out of round green stock. Drawers full of accessories will add the weight you need for stability.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think that is quite a nice lathe bench/stand. Looks well made, substantial, and appears to have a good finish on it.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
It looks like a nice stable set-up.

Thank God pens aren't that big.
I ahve 3 lathes set up in a 3x5 corner.
Double 5/8ths plywood supports 2 of them at right angles to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS