Steel Shim Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have a Delta dedicated mortiser that needs a little shimming to be perfectly square in all directions.

Does anyone know a source close to Fayetteville that might sell thin steel shim stock?

Anything else work as well or better?

Thanks for any feedback.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't specifically know of metal shim stock, but, if you go to Harbor Freight or an automotive parts store (AutoZone or the like) and get a set of leaf style feeler gauges, you can use them for shims.

George

J

jeff...

Just about anything will work for shim stock - beer cans soup cans - but I really like gators idea never thought of using cheepo made in China feeler gauges for shim stock - great idea Gator :thumbs_up

cptully

New User
Chris
For my floor demo model Ridgid table saw I used very thin brass sheets picked up at the nearest hobby shop... Still works great, even after being disassembled for moviong and re-assembled.

BTW, since the instructions for setting up my saw specified shim washers, I worked out a slick method of cutting my own shim washers:

Sandwich the shim stock between two boards and screw or clamp them together. Then layout and drill the center holes to match your bolts. Next use a spade bit with cutting ears out the outer edge to cut the outer diameter. This is best done on a drill press and you need to pay careful attention when using the spade bit because the shim stock will tear easily. However, after shredding the first few attempts, I was able to make more than enough shim washers in about 15 minutes. I retrospect, I may well have just slipped the shim in near the bolts instead of making washers....

Chris

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Try using aluminum roof flashing. All the BORGs carry it and it is very inexpensive. I guesstimate it's thickness at around .015" or less ...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Chris, what a timely tip! I've been "trying" to cut shim stock into washers and having what amounts to no luck!

I got 0.002 steel shim stock from a local Fastenal. In hindsight I would have preferred brass, as I recall brass does not compress as much as steel or aluminum (may be talking bout my hind quarters).

Fastenal has a store near you, go figure :)

502 S Eastern Blvd
Fayetteville, NC , 28301-6314
Phone: 910-423-1616

Jim

DaveD

New User
Dave
Enco has all kinds of shim stock if you want particular thicknesses or an assortment size pack. Just do a search on 'shim stock' on their web page.
www.use-enco.com Stainless, plastic, steel, they got it.

BTW most months you can find a free shipping code if you buy over $50 of stuff from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS