Steel pipes to PEX...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I've got access to enough free PEX to redo my water lines. Right now my pipes are a mix of mostly metal (iron, galvanized?) with a bit of copper. I'd like to start the PEX at the metal inlet in the basement. What's the best way to couple the PEX to the metal inlet? I didn't see anything at the BORG. Thanks!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
There should be a brass pipe thread adapter from pipe to PEX available. If you're going onto a steel (I assume you have galvanized) pipe male thread and can't find a female adapter just use a coupling (or a union) to adapt to the PEX.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Help me understand. Do I just turn my pump off (well) drain all the lines then find a spot close to the inlet to unscrew the galvanized. Then just screw on the brass adapter which will let me start the PEX lines? Thanks.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes. Be sure to use Teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads. Wrap the Teflon tape clockwise into the male threads. Also be sure to use PEX rated for hot water where applicable.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Cool. Sounds easy enough. Weird I couldn't find this 'mythical' adaptor when I was at Lowe's. I knew there must be something, of course the associate was basically no help...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try a regular plumbing supply company if you can't get what you need at the BORGs. They may sell 'retail' now that construction is in the toilet - no pun intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS