Steel City TS Modifications - Router Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
:eusa_dancMade first modification to the New to Me Table saw!

SCRT1.JPG

I used the old laminate wing as a template. Added 3 more inches in width. Used Melamine cutoff scrap as well as 3/4 in pywood scrap. Ordered a Rockler Router plate on special with free ship! The Miter track was a Harbor Freight special and here it is!

SCRT2.JPG

The whole setup cost @ $50.00 (router not included). $42 of it was the Plate cost!

SCRT3.JPG

The router was a NCWW special as well! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks for looking!

T

toolferone

Well done! Looks like it was meant to be there. What are your plans for a router fence?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill,

Thanks! Im taking good care of it, for sure!

I just wish melamine came in different flavors other than vanilla!:gar-Bi

Matt
Check your local cabinet materials supplier. We have used almond/bisque Melamine on projects before @ no upgrade charge. It won't be a BORG item I don't believe.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Very nice. You can do some nice shaping with that setup.

Check your local cabinet materials supplier. We have used almond/bisque Melamine on projects before @ no upgrade charge. It won't be a BORG item I don't believe.

Thanks, I'd like to use to do some cabinet work in near future.

I will check, never knew that!:thumbs_up

Also, has anyone painted Mel, or is there paint that mimics the surface!
I thought about spraying, but want to maintain slick surface?

Thanks Again for looks and comments!
Matt

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very cool Matt. :icon_thum I wonder if anyone makes a tablesaw type router fence that would fit on the track you already have. That would be super awesome and really convenient.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Very cool Matt. :icon_thum I wonder if anyone makes a tablesaw type router fence that would fit on the track you already have. That would be super awesome and really convenient.

Trent, I've got a couple of design ideas rolling around in my Snow Globe brain:gar-La;. And I just PM'd the Jig Meister himself, Joe S. for any hints/ideas. It will be interesting to see what hatches!

Thanks for input/comment!
Matt

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Uh, I have a router extension on my PM that looks more or less identical to his (very nice) setup. Whenever I need a router fence, I just clamp a piece of MDF to the TS fence and off I go. Can plunge up into it. If I need an offset with a slot, I just dado out the area and adjust the fence into it. YMMV.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Uh, I have a router extension on my PM that looks more or less identical to his (very nice) setup. Whenever I need a router fence, I just clamp a piece of MDF to the TS fence and off I go. Can plunge up into it. If I need an offset with a slot, I just dado out the area and adjust the fence into it. YMMV.

Thanks Eric!

I was just going to use the ts fence alone, temporarily, until I made something more perm. But using mdf makes alot more sense!:icon_thum.

<M

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Glad I could help! I make many. many things with knocked together MDF jigs. I actually have a "permanent" router fence that came with the saw, but I find the TS fence to be more stable.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I'm thinking of doing this to my saw and getting rid of my dedicated router table. I'm not sure of what to do about my dust collection. I like having a fence pickup and an enclosed base.

How are you going to deal with dust?

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I'm thinking of doing this to my saw and getting rid of my dedicated router table. I'm not sure of what to do about my dust collection. I like having a fence pickup and an enclosed base.

How are you going to deal with dust?

Im currently working on a Fence, which will have a dust chute/hose hookup. I've got the Fence part done, Im just working on a dust chute design for fence.

If you are set on an enclosed cabinet, you could build a cabinet under the wing, and put casters on (if you have a mobile base). It would be a space saver as well. I thought about doing that and still might.

Maybe take your router cabinet and modify to the TS and router!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS