Steel City Machinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Just browsed WWSupply site and was looking at shapers. I like the looks of the Steel City and the price seems to be more appealing. Have any of you seen/used any of their equipment?

Would like to hear some pros and cons from any users of Steel City machinery.

I think the WG disease is creeping up on me:roll:

Jerry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am aware of a couple on another site that bought their jointer and planer. Seem to be quite and happy and pleased with the quality of manufacturing and finish. I have seen a few people comment on the shaper as well. Nothing but positive comments, but I don't know anyone that has bought one. I have heard they have a $100 rebate going on at the moment.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Nope, Rebates were extended to March :eusa_danc

I just got their 50200 16" bandsaw. I'll set it up this weekend.

Todd

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Nope, Rebates were extended to March :eusa_danc

I just got their 50200 16" bandsaw. I'll set it up this weekend.

Todd

Is that extension posted on the web?

Where did you see/buy the bandsaw? I will be interested in your review after getting it set up.

Jerry

jtdums

New User
Jim
I'm interested in that 16" bandsaw too. What was the take home price with shipping and after rebate? (If you don't mind me asking)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Jerry, I had a friend ask me about the Steel City tools. This post has some information on it. It may be worth a read anyway.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I checked out all the machinery they had at IWF. It looks like their stuff is the same as grizzly, jet, and delta. Pretty much a different paint job and logo and that is it. I did see where FWW wasn't happy with the deflection of the 18" bandsaw.

Bottom line is it is right on par with the other import machinery on the market. So.... you want a shaper..... I have this 3 spindle I'm probably going to part with. :lol::lol::lol:

Good Luck,

John

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Jerry,

Yesterday I confirmed with Jennifer at woodworker supply that the rebates have been extended. The rebate on my 16" saw is only $50, it's $100 on the 14, 18, and 20" saws :( but $50 is $50 so I'll take it. Just to be sure, I called Steel City customer service and they also confirmed the extension. Their website seemed to indicate the rebate was extended on only some of their tools but the woman there said it was all the rebates.

Steel City has some strong points and a couple of weak points.

The bandsaws, for example, look like improved and slightly beefed up versions of the Jet bandsaws. I'd guess they come out of the same factory. Steel City added set screws and adjustments to let you align the wheels without shims and used twin springs for blade tensioning and have a tension release that may actually work.

They also made it possible to adjust the guide that supports the blade guides (ball bearing). They say it means you can make sure it is at 90degrees to the blade. I honestly don't know how important a feature that is, because the companies is young, and hasn't worked out everything it did cause them one major problem.

But the Jet 16" uses a 123" blade that is stocked by a fair number of stores. The steel city 16" saw uses a 125" blade. No extra resaw over the 16" jet despite that.
Worse, they wrote 123" in their owners manual so even though Steel City sells 125" blades and list that on the website, all the owners who just look in their manual are going to order the wrong sized blade. :oops: I got an email from Jim Box confirming 125" and suggested they send out a note to anyone who has registered their warranty. I realized afterwards that they should send the info with their rebate checks!

Also, the fact that I can align the blade guide support is nice, but the owners manual doesn't mention that or say how. :slap:

If you go read the FWW review of the saw you'll see what that mistake cost Steel City! It was a seriously crappy review, the guy actually measured the table alignment with the alignment pin out and clearly didn't call Steel City to ask why the blade support was out of alignment. It's Steel City's fault he didn't know it was adjustable, but I bet that if it had been a Powermatic (which has a ton of ads in FWW) he'd have called the company before writing a bad review. :roll: He also noted that the thumb screws on the blade guides were too small, but Steel City had already noticed that and ordered larger ones. They'll send the new version out to any customer who wants them. (They're sending me the larger ones :) )

They're a neat company. It's few guys that used to work for Jet/Powermatic and Delta who got together, obtained private funding, and incorporate a bunch of the practical improvements they always wanted to put into the equipment but couldn't because their former companies were competing primarily on price. Steel City isn't going to be a bargain company! For the same price as my saw I could have bought a grizzly G0513X. The grizzly is clearly "more" saw with some cool features. I wasn't looking for more saw though, and I thought some of the SC features made it a slightly finer built and designed saw.

Anyway, with the current "sale" prices, 5yr warranty and rebate extension, they're probaby worth considering.

Todd

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Just a litle caveat: FWW had a less than glowing review on the Steel City Bandsaw in one of the last issues. I can't really see any advantage of their machinery over Grizzly or Bridgewood. Judging from personal experience and comments from other woodworking sites, both Bridgewood and Grizzly have a good track record. I for one am a bit conservative when I spent a junk of money on a big piece of machinery and prefer to take the safe route choosing known suppliers.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Toddler

New User
Todd
John,
I tend to agree. Other than a few small details like bigger trunions, the dual tension springs and more metal where they wanted it , Steel City looks a lot like the other imports.

It is, however, quite overbuilt compared to many others. The G0513X which is the other saw I seriously considered is, as I said, more saw! It's almost a foot taller, has wheels an inch larger in diameter, and a significantly bigger table. But it only weighs ~25lbs more. The Grizzly table alone would add 25# if they were built the same. SC isn't Laguna or an Agazzani. But then again, it only cost me 1/2 of what the Agazzani B-16 runs (and it outweighs that saw too ;) ).

I'm a big fan of simple and overbuilt in power tools.
Todd

GeorgeL

New User
George
I am in the process of setting up my new Steel City 35623 table saw. The fit and finish of the SC equipment is superior to anything else I’ve seen.

woodguy1975

New User
John
John,
I tend to agree. Other than a few small details like bigger trunions, the dual tension springs and more metal where they wanted it , Steel City looks a lot like the other imports.

It is, however, quite overbuilt compared to many others. The G0513X which is the other saw I seriously considered is, as I said, more saw! It's almost a foot taller, has wheels an inch larger in diameter, and a significantly bigger table. But it only weighs ~25lbs more. The Grizzly table alone would add 25# if they were built the same. SC isn't Laguna or an Agazzani. But then again, it only cost me 1/2 of what the Agazzani B-16 runs (and it outweighs that saw too ;) ).

I'm a big fan of simple and overbuilt in power tools.
Todd

I love IWF for the opportunity to see the different levels of machinery and see everyone's version. In one day I climbed over the Grizzly, Jet, Delta, and SC. When you do that you really get to see how they measure up. Depending on what you are looking for you'll find some makes have a slightly better version due to some nice features. When you sum them up they are all very close to one another. Honestly I think Grizzly is on top of the china bandsaw stack from my IWF time. They have a number of models that have been really refined and have been proven by lots of folks. SC may prove out well too, but it is still early to say. So far their reviews haven't shown them to be extraordinary. That could just be from beginning a new product line. We'll really know better in a couple years the same as we will with Rikon. I've got their version I 14" for an extra saw in the shop and it does fine for what I ask of it. But I don't ask much of it.

I'll keep my italian saws for big saws. My Meber and MM have no comparison to anything coming from china, but of course you can't compare to them directly to china saws because their pricetag is dramatically different and their quality and fit and finish is on a different level. You get what you pay for. Every tool purchase has some compromise. Everyone just has to weigh them out for themselves. :D

John

Toddler

New User
Todd
:lol: I escalated from a Ryobi 10 inch to a 16" SC.

I showed online pics of the MM16 to my wife, told her I'd have to have another box run for 220V power . . . know what she said. . . .

"What ever makes you happy" :eusa_danc

That's why I've only posted a wife gloat, and no tool gloats. Given she'll let me buy anything I want, it's lucky I don't have woodguy disease :eusa_whis

Todd

cpowell

New User
Chuck
:lol: I escalated from a Ryobi 10 inch to a 16" SC.

I showed online pics of the MM16 to my wife, told her I'd have to have another box run for 220V power . . . know what she said. . . .

"What ever makes you happy" :eusa_danc

That's why I've only posted a wife gloat, and no tool gloats. Given she'll let me buy anything I want, it's lucky I don't have woodguy disease :eusa_whis

Todd

Todd, I didn't have any symptoms of WG disease until I visited his shop last year before the Charlotte WW show and looked at his MM16. LOML made the trip with me. The next day she bought me the MM16.

Chuck

woodguy1975

New User
John
Todd, I didn't have any symptoms of WG disease until I visited his shop last year before the Charlotte WW show and looked at his MM16. LOML made the trip with me. The next day she bought me the MM16.

Chuck

Yeah, she figured no matter how bad you got you couldn't get as bad as me. LOL!!!!!!

Toddler

New User
Todd
That's awsome Chuck. A stealth wife gloat :icon_thum

I did consider the MM16. It is really a different league of machine than mine. Seemed almost excessively overbuild for a 16" machine, if that's possible, but I'll bet you never bog it down resawing! I don't think I'll need it to build a few electric guitars and boxes though.

I'm patient. The plans for our next house should give me about around 2200sq ft of basement, and over half is committed to be shop space. I honestly think the SC 16" will cut anything I want, but if I ever need more capacity, then with the money I save today, I'll pick up a used monster in 4 or 5 years and set it up for just resawing and heavy duty stuff.

Until then, if I need to resaw a 12" piece of bubinga, I know which guys to pester. BYOB though, right :lol: (bring your own blade)

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors