Steel City Granite Jointer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Does anyone have any experience with the steel city granite jointers? In particular, the 8" with helical head?

I am thinking about adding a jointer to my arsenal. I was considering one of the J/P combo machines (in particular, the hammer a3-31, or the one of the grizzly G0633/G0634 models).

I have a reasonable lunchbox planer (ridgid 12"), which I just finished making a flip-stand for, and a few extra blade sets for, so I don't feel the need to replace it. Also, the SCTW wouldn't (immediately) require a new 220 line, as I could swap with my tablesaw (where the combo's require a higher amp circuit). And the granite bed intrigues me.

Anyway... Any feedback on these models? I found a few threads on the granite fences, but nothing on the whole bed (I am guessing they are relatively new). I would love to hear any comments on them, or their brethren.

Thanks!

(in particular, this one: http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=7&tool=40660)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No experience to offer, but I am glad to see that they are offering the jointer with granite tables, now. I think that a granite surface is a brilliant idea for woodworking machines, but when it was only offered in the fence on the jointer I thought it was quite a waste of the concept. If you have the space for the stand alone machines that would be the way I would go. The J/P combos are great on saving space but some functionality is left out as a sacrifice.
A helical or spiral head is a must, I am so happy I got one in my new 8" jointer. The cut is superior, and you don't have those pesky sharpening and alignment issues to deal with.
MTCW,
Dave:)

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I am hoping to get out to woodcraft today or tmo to check these out. They have the 6" on the floor according to the person I spoke with. I am very interested in it.

It even has a built-in mobile base

jamie

jamie
Senior User
So, I went to woodcraft today. I knew that they didn't have the 8" granite in stock, but they did have a 6".

Seemed very sweet to me. The 8" with Helical Head is $1050. Unfortunately, it is backordered until the end of june :(

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
When I was buying a jointer, I was very tempted by the Steel City jointer with granite fence, because it was very large (the fence) and I have a Steel City drill press I like very much. In the end it cost a bit too much for me for the features - I ended up with a Grizzly G0490x because it was a great price with the helical head.

However, with the new reduced prices on the Steel City models, I think I would probably lean in that direction.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have no experience with a granite bed jointer but the limited experience I have had with my Ridgid granite topped TS has been very positive. The sheer mass dampens vibrations and no worries about warping or rust/corrosion. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS