Steel city drill press

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I need a new drill press and like the SC JDP-17DX. Seems like a good, basic, DP. I see good reviews online. Anyone own it? What do you think?

Trog777

New User
Trog
Heard some rumors about Steel City having problems. Not the Drill Press, the Company. Might want to check them a little closer. Personally, I would be a little hesitant to purchase a modern machine that had shaky support from the company. It's not like they're built as well as the old iron used to be. Just my opinion.

timf67

New User
Tim
I don't know about the company, but I have the drillpress and LOVE it. It is not a top-of-the line unit by any stretch, and it has its strengths and weaknesses. If you are fairly handy you should be able to set it up and have a pretty accurate drillpress. I like the long quill stroke and the two piece head casting should let me keep it running true for a long time. It has plenty of power and runs smooth and quiet. My only gripe - and most drillpresses in this class are no different - is the cheap table height adjuster.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I need a new drill press and like the SC JDP-17DX. Seems like a good, basic, drillpress. I see good reviews online. Anyone own it? What do you think?

Mike---I own a SC drill press and have been pleased with it. I also own their table saw and shaper---I had issues with the extension wings for both of those but the company shipped new wings with no hassle at no charge to me. They were very easy to talk to.

Jerry

GeorgeL

New User
George
Mike,

I own the drill press, table saw and 18" bandsaw. The equipment is rock solid. Customer support has been top notch as well.

On the drill press specifically, I wish the table were larger and could tilt forward but none of the "woodworking" drill presses in this class have the Steel City's 6" quill stroke which was a must for me. I added an aftermarket table to mine.

George

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Mike.

The model # in your post is actually for the Jet 17". Our own, Tom Hintz did a review of the Jet (JDP-17DX) back in September 08. Here....

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetjdp17dxrvu.html

I have had the Steel city 17" drill press for about six months and think that it is great machine. I did have an issue that they resolved for me. (When I unpacked it, it was missing the column capture ring for the raise/lower rack assembly. I called them and they agreed to ship me one. It took about 7 weeks to get it. They told me that they were in the precess of moving their warehouse from Tenn to Hayward Cal.. In speaking with their CS rep manager in Canada, they said they would send me a laser kit for the drillpress for my inconvenience.)

I really wrestled with buying either the Jet or SC. I settled on the SC due to the long quill travel (6") and the split head.

It has been a great drillpress. I too am hoping that their CS doesn't go down hill as I think their products are pretty good value for the money.

HTH

Wayne

mike_wood

User
I appreciate the responses. I did notice the mechanism for changing the height of the table was pretty rough. However, in all other respects it seemed like a good buy.

Thanks again.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just to add to this look at this one. it is the the Delta 20-950. It has the tilt forward table, 6" quill stroke and variable speed. I got mine earlier this year and am extremely happy.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The equipment as well as the company is rock solid. Customer support is top notch as well.
I've seen a few posts on SMC about Steel City having some customer support issues, i.e. not answering the phone. Hope it's a temporary thing.

GeorgeL

New User
George
I appreciate the responses. I did notice the mechanism for changing the height of the table was pretty rough. However, in all other respects it seemed like a good buy.

Thanks again.

Mike,

I found the roughness in the table lift mechanism can be eliminated by not over-loosening the lock lever. In other words, just barely crack the lock lever loose and the table rises and lowers as smooth as silk.

George

GeorgeL

New User
George
Just to add to this look at this one. it is the the Delta 20-950. It has the tilt forward table, 6" quill stroke and variable speed. I got mine earlier this year and am extremely happy.

Steve,

That is the drill press I wanted to buy but it wasn't available when I was in the market so my 2nd choice was the Steel City.

George

James Davis

New User
James Davis

mike_wood

User
I did look at the Delta. I started the process with the intent of buying a Delta but there are some pretty disappointing reviews out there. I have not made a final decision as I have not had time to take a good, hands-on, look at each.

Again, thanks much for the comments.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I know it is a haul up here from Pittsboro, but you are welcome to come up and put mine through it's paces if you want to see how it handles.

James

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve,

That is the drill press I wanted to buy but it wasn't available when I was in the market so my 2nd choice was the Steel City.

George
george, I waited for over a year for them to release another production. Was getting very annoyed and almost gave up. But the wait was worth it.:thumbs_up

mike_wood

User
The problem with the Delta 17-950L is the depth stop. I like the SC stop much better. It is easier to use and easier to set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors