Steel City Drill - Preliminary Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
With the wise advice of several NCWW members and a lot of help from Herb Shelly, manager of the reborn Raleigh Woodcraft, I got a Steel City drill press this afternoon.:eusa_danc

As soon as if figure out how to get that honking big head from the packing crate to the top of the column :roll: I'll provide a "finished" picture.

Thanks to all for the help.
Ray

Attachments

• Steel City Drill.jpg
    Steel City Drill.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 156

GeorgeL

New User
George
Ray,

Congratulations on the new drill press, you'll love it!

>>As soon as if figure out how to get that honking big head from the packing crate to the top of the column

It's actually quite easy, with the drill head on top of the packing material, lay the base & post assembly down lined up with the head. Slide the head onto the post and stand the whole thing up. That's how I did mine (stealth gloat!) and it worked like a charm.

George

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Congrats on the drill press Ray. Please let us know how you like it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ray, congratulations! Personal experiences, pictures etc. mandatory at this point :)
George's method will work (I assembled a Ridgid 15" that way), but it's no picnic. Of course, I'm a shrimp. Build up plenty of support with 2x4s so that the head doesn't roll accidentally, and it's perfectly flush with the (horizontal) column. Better still to get help lifting the beast.

Oh, and just so you know....
yousuck.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Ray,

Man are you fast:oops: it seems like we were just discussing it, and now you've got it in the shop. Congratulations. By the way....

You Suck !

Jimmy:)

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
It's not as bad as it looks, I was able to do it with my wife's help safely. Solo would probably be no good though, you'd have to go with the lean over method.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new addition Ray.

You did supply a photo, so.......

YOU SUCK
(Is this close enough to the Steel City color)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
As soon as if figure out how to get that honking big head from the packing crate to the top of the column :roll: I'll provide a "finished" picture.

Thanks to all for the help.
Ray

Ray, just give me a ring tomorrow, and I would be more than happy to stop by and give you some assistance. I have nothing planned tomorrow, water restrictions are making my job pretty easy lately:BangHead:
You know my number, and I know where you are :-D

Dave:)

RayH

New User
Ray
The stand looks great!
Now let's see a pix of that "honking big head" too :lol:

Roger

Here 'tis. Head installed and laser sighting aligned (us senior citizens with tri-focals need all the help we can get -- and we accept discounts). Can I call the gloat final now?:eusa_danc

Thanks to all for looking,
Ray

Attachments

• Steel City Drill-II.jpg
    Steel City Drill-II.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 141

RayH

New User
Ray
Ray, congratulations! Personal experiences, pictures etc. mandatory at this point :)
George's method will work (I assembled a Ridgid 15" that way), but it's no picnic. Of course, I'm a shrimp. Build up plenty of support with 2x4s so that the head doesn't roll accidentally, and it's perfectly flush with the (horizontal) column. Better still to get help lifting the beast.

Bas,

I'm not only a shrimp, I am also among the seniors in the group -- grandkids * eight. But I had the help of a resident friend I met some time ago.

Thanks for looking,
Ray

Attachments

• ceiling hoist.jpg
    ceiling hoist.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 147

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Very nice! Everything that I have read about that drill press has been great! At some time in the near future I plan on replacing my Delta benchtop with one of those! Let us know what you think about it after you have had time to use it. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS