Steambending at the Klingspor Woodworking Showcase event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The Woodworking Showcase event at Klingspor yesterday was terrific. Demonstrations, beautiful woodworking and a chance to catch up with some old friends.

Phil "Mad Scientist" S. brought some intriguing equipment to do steam bending. For thin stock, you can do your bending using a pipe heated with a propane torch. Just spray the wood with some water and wrap it around the pipe.
lighting_the_torch.jpg

View image in gallery

For bigger pieces, you can use the SteamMaster 6000: A 4" PVC pipe (with some U-shaped wire pieces to hold the wood in the center of the pipe) connected to a wallpaper steamer. Phil steamed some 3/4" white oak (for chair backs) as well as some branches found in the yard by FredP (for walking sticks).

Jim's attempt at bending a walking stick...not everything goes according to plan:
[YOUTUBE]_6Imb3kgQf4[/YOUTUBE]

Another attempt, this time with success!
[YOUTUBE]gUghq1i3lfk[/YOUTUBE]

Bending a chair back:
[YOUTUBE]Op4Wm6dmk7Y[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks to Jim (froglips) for getting everything organized. Pete (peteb301) did a sharpening demo using the Worksharp, Dan M. showed some pen turning, and brought along some spectacular 3D pens made using watch parts. And many thanks to Phil S. for the steaming setup, I may have to try this for a project one of these days....

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks for posting this Bas. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I didn't get there until 2pm and the steam bending was over for the day. :cry_smile A huge thanks to Jim and everyone else who helped out. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS