Steam My Log(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
The sawyer was here the other day to size up my Walnut logs. Offered me $200 for the three large ones - he calculated 400 bf.
While we were talking, he said that, to really get the primo walnut, I would need to take the logs to have them steamed to bring the dark color out into the (much lighter colored) sapwood.

Is he sending me out for a can of elbow grease? If not, does anyone know anything about this and who might do it and what it costs?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
.50 per bd ft is not bad, depending upon the size of the logs. If you will post the dimension of the small ends of the logs, along with their length, I'll double check the board footage estimates.

You don't steam "logs"; when walnut is steamed to change the color of the sapwood it is done at the end of the kiln drying process (which is after they logs are milled, not before).

Large commercial buyers prefer steamed walnut; custom woodworkers prefer unsteamed because the colors are much richer (and darker).

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Steaming of Walnut should be a crime. You cannot steam in the log but rather after kiln drying. The optimal temp for steaming is 180F and 100% RH. The effluent from the steaming process is a pollutant in every state as it contains Juglone, a herbicide.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have worked with both and I agree heartily with the others - walnut should NOT be steamed if you plan to use it yourself or sell it to other woodworkers. The true color of walnut is much better before. I'll never buy steamed again. If you are planning to sell it to a factory, then by all means steam it, as you'll get more for it. I dunno why they even bother using real walnut (or cherry or mahogany) because they just cover it with stain anyway.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Thank you. Thank you all. I must have miss-heard what the fella said. Somehow I thought he said the logs needed to be steamed to get "top dollar." I guess he meant the milled/cut/lumbered material and I wasn't listening closely.

Thanks again for the feedback.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Thank you for the offer. I'll have to wait until there is some daylight out there!
BTW I have felled two large hickory trees resulting in four or five logs and have a couple of large logs from a big Locust tree.
I have someone coming to saw my logs. Any suggestions are appreciated as I have never done any of this before.
I plan on sticking the lumber in one of two places. My barn/workshop which is "dry" or my basement which is humid (rusts tools, mildew on some plywood and MDF/composites that are not sealed. THought the basement might provide a slower cure - but no idea what's required / desired.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Steaming of Walnut should be a crime. You cannot steam in the log but rather after kiln drying. The optimal temp for steaming is 180F and 100% RH. The effluent from the steaming process is a pollutant in every state as it contains Juglone, a herbicide.

Yeah steaming really does a number on natural color variation, makes the color muddy and bland.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Log Diameter 1 Diameter 2 Length

A 22 22 92"
B 24 21 122"
C 16 16 94"

C is longer, but that would include the crotch

D is 72" to the crotch and 10" overall diameter - crotch is much fatter!

Also have about four decent Chestnut logs and three of that wood they make fence posts out of (can't recall the name) and some hickory.

Love to find a portable sawyer with a hydraulic lift to come and cut 'em up. Or I'll sell 'em off. Hate to use it for firewood. Though the Walnut does a nice job heating things up! Might even trade some of the logs for the cutting of the others.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
.50 per bd ft is not bad, depending upon the size of the logs. If you will post the dimension of the small ends of the logs, along with their length, I'll double check the board footage estimates.

Sorry, new to the list. I posted the measurements moments ago and ther appeared in a separate post (above/below?)

BTW - That's some mighty big saw you've got there!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Log Diameter 1 Diameter 2 Length

A 22 22 92"
B 24 21 122"
C 16 16 94"

C is longer, but that would include the crotch

D is 72" to the crotch and 10" overall diameter - crotch is much fatter!

Also have about four decent Chestnut logs and three of that wood they make fence posts out of (can't recall the name) and some hickory.

Love to find a portable sawyer with a hydraulic lift to come and cut 'em up. Or I'll sell 'em off. Hate to use it for firewood. Though the Walnut does a nice job heating things up! Might even trade some of the logs for the cutting of the others.

Is that dimensions inside the bark? if not then subtract 4" (2" a side) - and depending on how the pith runs at least another 2" to rid the pith from the center boards. If your going to flat saw them then I would recommend 5/4 to allow for cupping during drying on the wider outer boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS